PDA

View Full Version : Block Question

d.h.
02-19-2008, 22:31
Would a factory gm longblock be the same block and heads as peninsulars new longblock,other than th18:1 pistons.Thanks

john8662
02-20-2008, 08:45
At this point it should be the same physical block, heads, internals as Penn's engine. The difference being that Peninsular does use the 18:1 C/R in their engines.

The should remark above is assuming that the dealer has relatively new stock, and not stock that is previous to year 2001.

d.h.
02-20-2008, 18:15
Thanks I,ve been debating between dealer and peninsular on engine.Gm will give a 3year 110000km warrenty,but their price is right up there to.I like the peninsular "new" engine with the 18:1cr.I,ll just baby a little so there wont be any warrenty issues to worry about.

rustyk
02-21-2008, 21:44
I have the Peninsular/AMG in my motorhome, and have no complants (nor concerns, as I sometimes go out into the Boonies). I discarded the notion of a GM factory engine, well, because GM never did get it quite right...

d.h.
02-21-2008, 22:52
Other than having oil cooler line take out engine(which Im to blame on)my old 6.5 hauled my 12000lb trailer from BC to Nevada with no real issues (other than heat).This is why I,m going "new" as truck is mint and never really let me down.This said I feel confident in ordering outside the"gm" box.I think the new blocks,heads and related parts are speaking for themselves.If I can get another 5 or so years it will pay for itself in savings over a new one.(I hope they change the look a bit)

TAG
02-25-2008, 17:47
The penn & the dealer engines come from the exact same place, penn mainly sells the marine long block which is 18:1. They both get them straight from amg. Last time i priced a long block penns 18:1 was about the same price as the dealer. Main difference is dealer warrantee is very formal & cast in stone. When i bought mine from matt the warranty thing wasnt really that clear but i didnt care because it was a brand new engine & they have had almost no issues with them. 30,000 hard miles on my 18:1 putting out as much as possible with the pumps we have available and nary a problem so far. Hope this helps with your decision.

d.h.
02-25-2008, 18:22
The penn & the dealer engines come from the exact same place, penn mainly sells the marine long block which is 18:1. They both get them straight from amg. Last time i priced a long block penns 18:1 was about the same price as the dealer. Main difference is dealer warrantee is very formal & cast in stone. When i bought mine from matt the warranty thing wasnt really that clear but i didnt care because it was a brand new engine & they have had almost no issues with them. 30,000 hard miles on my 18:1 putting out as much as possible with the pumps we have available and nary a problem so far. Hope this helps with your decision.

Tag... This is what I like to hear,Matt said 1yr warrenty I,ve sent money so hopfully it,ll be here in a week or so.I don,t always pull but when I so its heavy and long through coast mountains and rockies.I,m hoping with i/c and new pcm I,ll be a little ahead of what I was before:D

rustyk
02-27-2008, 19:12

Same here - I had a defective turbo (actually defective since new, as it's a whole new engine with the replacement - EGT doesn't ever approach yellow as it did with the old). I had a replacement fairly quickly (they had to weld the exhaust flange on it), and I was told not to send the old one back until I was satisfied with the new. From my original contact to followup service, I've been very pleased. There was no issue with my replacing the turbo myself (of course that saved Peninsular some money, but at many places, the rep would clutch his chest and fall to the floor - but I'm experienced enough to tell the difference between a left- and right-handed monkey wrench...:D)