PDA

View Full Version : Starter bolts, yet again

FEF
02-19-2008, 10:09
My starter broke off in the parking lot at work. I'm told they're about to tow it.

I need to know what the odds are the bolt will turn with a bolt extractor, and what the bolt size, length, and thread count are. I'll need to run to the hardware store to get bolts quickly.

The last owner had only one bolt holding the starter. :mad::(

Thanks for the help.

briant6.5
02-19-2008, 10:42
Starter bolts can be tough to extract. I had the same problem on mine, tried to extract and screwed up the block. good luck... when you do get them out, don't even think of putting on the started without the rear support bracket. If it's not there, that's why your starter breaking bolts and falling off.

FEF
02-19-2008, 12:28
It's got the front bracket.

I'm headding out there now (lunch time). Working on a vehicle in a large corp. parking lot is a no-no, if security find out. They have eyes everywhere. :)

Had this happened at home, it would not be an issue... But it didn't.

convert2diesel
02-19-2008, 12:45
If you can get at least one bolt in and your bracket is in place, perhaps that will hold long enough for you to get it started and back home where you can do the job properly.

Bill

FEF
02-19-2008, 14:47
That had occurred to me.

At this point, I have my (flat) tow bar attached to the bumper. I'm pulling it with my newley aquired '82 truck. Maybe I'll get lucky and all the police won't notice all the emergency flashers for the 20 miles home... In the dark.

I'll have to strap the starter up first, though.

This is un-fun.

JohnC
02-19-2008, 15:59
Hardware store bolts won't cut it. Get the factory bolts, make sure the pinion clearance is correct and the rear bracket is tight. Check the bolt torque at each oil change and it'll never fall off again.

joe bleaux
02-19-2008, 18:27
FEF,

That JUST happened to my '84 van, 6.2l, n.a.

One bolt broke off in the block but, luckily, it didn't break off in the blind hole, it broke in the hole the goes all of the way through. I took the broken bolt (it had a tit on it where it broke) and held it tight against the piece in the block while turning with a ratchet. It would slip and was slow going but eventually, the threaded part peeked out the top just enough to turn it with vise-grips.

As the other person said, DO NOT USE anything but factory bolts (unless you need some temps to get you home). The factory bolts are about $2.50 apiece and they have a crosshatch pattern which extrudes when tightened, thereby providing locking the bolt in place when torqued down to ~ 45 foot pounds.

My van does not have a rear bracket. I wonder if it is supposed to. While under there, I thought that a great deal of g-force was on just the two bolts in the front holding it on and when bouncing around, who knows how much g-force it has to endure.

Joe

My starter broke off in the parking lot at work. I'm told they're about to tow it.

I need to know what the odds are the bolt will turn with a bolt extractor, and what the bolt size, length, and thread count are. I'll need to run to the hardware store to get bolts quickly.

The last owner had only one bolt holding the starter. :mad::(

Thanks for the help.

Robyn
02-20-2008, 08:01
They all came with a stabilizer bracket on the tail of the starter.
Far too many mechanics remove them and toss them in the corner as they are a bit of a challenge to get back on for some. ( ON 4x4 you can remove the RH front wheel and the rubber wether flap on the inner fender and have a nice shot at the wiring and the bracket the 4x2 is basically the same)

Replace the bracket.

Robyn

FEF
02-20-2008, 11:17
It took some doing, but I got "the crap train" (as my friend called it) home safely. I'm glad I bought the truck ('82 C-20 Camper Special) last weekend. It would have cost $300 to tow it, and I paid $500 for the truck. It's 3/5 paid for. :)

I've called a few dealers. They don't have the bolts in stock, that's a temporary problem. I'm fine with paying the $2.50ish for the bolts, but I'm still curious about the metallurgy. Is it about the temper, thread cut, or all of the above. It's very interesting that grade 5 bolts with a washer and lock washer either falls out (comes loose), or snaps off. However.... I'm thinking grade 2s will hold the 40 lbs of torque. They are softer. They will flex more... This is one of those times when I wish I had a "test bed" of some kind. I'd love to test the different bolts without the risk of being stuck in a parking lot 40 miles from home. It's fascinating, really.

I guess this is the long way to say, the most reliable know method is to use OEM bolts with a properly installed support bracket. I've got some fun to deal with today.

I appreciate the help. :D

;):cool:

joescj5
02-20-2008, 11:37
Go buy some left-handed drill bits. Quite often you can extract broken bolts and screws with them. Use a center punch to get a good centered starting point and then use the LH drill bit of the approriate size for whatever extractor you will use if the drill bit does not back it out.

Put your drill in reverse, and very slowly drill into the bolt. I've used this method numerous times for bolts and screws at work. Good luck.

EWC
02-20-2008, 14:58
The other part of the problem may be the starter housing itself . The holes for the bolts may be worn enough that even if the bolts are tight , the housing is loose enough to allow some movement . You also may have issues will the flex plate . When I have starter problems , I take the solenoid off and manually pull the bendix out to check teeth clearance . After that , new bolts with the brace should help .

Robyn
02-20-2008, 16:28
Buy the good bolts from Ma General along with the little bracket for the back end and put it in right and you will not have any more issues. :)

I have never broke a starter bolt off on one that was bracketed, never.

Good lluck

Robyn

joe bleaux
02-22-2008, 20:15
Thanks, Robyn.

I am looking for the rear bracket now.

Joe

They all came with a stabilizer bracket on the tail of the starter.
Far too many mechanics remove them and toss them in the corner as they are a bit of a challenge to get back on for some. ( ON 4x4 you can remove the RH front wheel and the rubber wether flap on the inner fender and have a nice shot at the wiring and the bracket the 4x2 is basically the same)

Replace the bracket.

Robyn