PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a purchase

gsingletary
02-18-2008, 19:41
Hey guys. I'm new to diesels but I'm in the market. I came across a 03' 2500HD crew cab 4X4 with 246,00 miles on her. It has the holes from a toolbox and several holes in the middle of the bed from what I guess would be a goose neck hitch but I'm not sure. What I need to know is whether its even worth a test drive with that many miles. The truck seems to be in great shape from what I can see. They're asking $14,000. Should I look any further into it?

lb7lbz
02-19-2008, 12:04
seems like alot of money for a truck with that many miles. i would keep shopping

Mark Rinker
02-19-2008, 21:46
You can do better for that money.

I figure my '02 with similar miles in great mechanical shape is worth ~8K. The hard part is knowing the service history - you can get alot from running the VIN at a dealer, but need a full inspection to really know what you are getting into with those kind of miles. Are transfer case, transmission, rear end full of clean fluids and no leaks?

10K max if all the above checks out, it has a clean interior, 50% or better tires, good service records, and all 8 injectors done within the last 50K miles.

gsingletary
02-20-2008, 20:17
Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I actually took it for a test drive this afternoon. The interior is perfect, all the bells and whistles work fine. It started right up but the check engine light was on. Drove fairly well, shifted fine. There was a slight flapping sound coming from the engine though, best thing I can compare it to is the sound you get from a leak on an exhaust manifold. She's had 3 owners, it was originally bought for commercial use and had 60,000 miles put on before it was sold to a personal owner. Anyways, I'm taking it to the mechanic tommorrow to have it checked out thoroughly checked. Guy at the lot said he could come down a good deal on it. Thanks again for the advice.

NutNbutGMC
02-21-2008, 17:43
Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I actually took it for a test drive this afternoon. The interior is perfect, all the bells and whistles work fine. It started right up but the check engine light was on. Drove fairly well, shifted fine. There was a slight flapping sound coming from the engine though, best thing I can compare it to is the sound you get from a leak on an exhaust manifold. She's had 3 owners, it was originally bought for commercial use and had 60,000 miles put on before it was sold to a personal owner. Anyways, I'm taking it to the mechanic tommorrow to have it checked out thoroughly checked. Guy at the lot said he could come down a good deal on it. Thanks again for the advice.
Walk away from it. I'd run.

Thoroughly checked out is good, but the mechanic cannot tell you the future of the engine (nor can I). Read up on the LB7 engine here (exception to the skilled wrenchers here). Run. Look for a better deal, regardless of the check-out procedure. Your first out-of-pocket injector replacement will cost you enough to run the price up an additional $4k minimum. If you can get it for $8k, that may be worth the potential headaches. Been there.

Dakster
02-21-2008, 18:53
I'd have to agree with the previos posters. I'd run from it. Too many miles, too much heavy duty work. The check engine light is not a great sign either. The reliability history of that model year chevy truck is not that great.

I'd almost, gulp, prefer a used 7.3 Ford.

Now, a truck that is still under injector warranty and no toolbox/gooseneck trailer holes, and in great shape that checks out from the mechanic might be worth looking into - again at the right price.

gsingletary
02-22-2008, 20:40
Thanks for the help guys, you saved me from what could have turned out to be a horrible deal. Much appreciated.