PDA

View Full Version : Diesel leaking, crazy operation, related?

waynep
02-18-2008, 16:30
Hello All:

Have a 1997 3/4 4x4 Sub, about 149K miles. Drip drip drip leak in fuel tank. Been leaking awhile and now needs attention but could this or what could ???, cause the following:

On starting engine, surges, stalls, black smoke, white smoke, guages going crazy, no accerator pedal control, surges over and over without control. Stalls, difficult start and over again.

Changed fuel filter just in case and added more fuel. Then truck ran fine, no problem, Drove
about 20 minutes and turned it off. Then came out and it will not start, no matter what I try. Lift pump seems to be ok.

What the heck is going on. Could it somehow be related to the leaking fuel??
Help and thank you, Wayne

a5150nut
02-18-2008, 18:29
Well if it we me, I would check all ground connections, right rear at head, battery connections, and ground cables at block. Then I would find the fuel leak. Maybe your return line on top of the tank maybe? Could be rubber hose or metal line leaking.

rustyk
02-18-2008, 20:48
I agree. With everything electrical acting wierd, it's likely a ground issue.

Robyn
02-18-2008, 20:56
The guys are on top of it. The ground cables on these are so crappy. Just Replace the cables, all of them. If the voltage goes sour your toast.
Be sure your batteries are both seeing 14.2 volts when the thing is running.

Grounds grounds and grounds. Voltage on these is critical.

If the PMD has been remounted be sure the little ground wire that some times gets moved to a remote cooler is routed to the top of the IP on the LH top side, (Very important)

Good luck

Robyn :D

waynep
02-19-2008, 12:31
Hello All:

Checked all grounds etc. Lift pump OK, filter brand new.

Still will not start or fire, even with WD -40.

No codes, no check engine light. Have a FSD and heat sink on order just in case.

What else could it be.

Thank you, Wayne

waynep
02-21-2008, 15:57
Hello All:

Purchased new FSD and heat sink, repalced it, and started up and ran fine.

At 130 K miles, it has had two pumps under warranty and now a FSD.

Thanks for all the help.

Wayne