PDA

View Full Version : Towing Fifth wheel with a Short bed!!!!!

99gmccrew
04-23-2004, 09:02
Just sold my motorhome and bought a fifth wheel. I'm learning that Fifth wheels work alot better for maneuvering with a long bed. Well, I'm not selling my truck so I bought an 18k hitch with a slide.
Can any of you veterans give me some tips or advice on what not to do and what to do, so I don't have to learn the hard way. Also will I be ok towing 14k with my 99gmc 6.5l? Not too many mods installed. Thanks for your help!

rjschoolcraft
04-23-2004, 19:44
I don't pull a fifth wheel, but if I did with a short box truck, this is what I would use. Check out the Super Glide by Pullrite (http://www.pullrite.com/SuperGlide.html). This is one cool hitch.

DmaxMaverick
04-23-2004, 22:56
I have a short box on my '01 and tow a 5'er with a slider. Love it. I've had a long box with a stationary hitch and I like the slider better. When maneuvering on soft ground, it is better to get the weight off the front wheels. Fewer holes to fill (from front tires digging) and less steering wheel/power steering effort. I also like the tighter turning radius of the short box, with and without the trailer. If I had a long box, I'd still have a slider.

I get into some pretty tight turns with mine and don't have problems.
When in doubt....Slide it out (kinda' corny, Huh?)

Those SuperGlides are real nice, but....
Very heavy. Very expensive. Not at all practical to remove/install unless you have a hoist, or a handy tree. you might be a rednick if.....

99gmccrew
04-26-2004, 20:20
Thanks for the tips! I like the manueverability with the slide. I got the 18k hiddenhitch with the round slide rails. It slides very nice with no hitches in the geddyup. This hitch will slide even when your deep into your turn. I was told that the reese with the square slides must be almost straight to work properly.