PDA

View Full Version : fuel pressure problems

2500HDTalley
02-16-2008, 19:14
I have an 02' duramax that has run wonderfully until the last 6 months. Suddenly I would find myself stuck in a parking lot with no fuel pressure. I use the primer pump on top of the fuel filter mount, turn the engine over to no avail and go back to the primer pump to find that it once again has no fuel pressure.:eek:
I changed the fuel filter, which seemed to fix the problem for about 3 weeks, then the same thing started again. I used a Donaldson filter when the problem first started and a Purolator this time.:mad:
Since this problem began, the engine compartment smells heavily of diesel, but only after the engine has run for about 1/2 hour or so.
Dealership can't find the problem, any suggestions?:confused:

Kennedy
02-18-2008, 12:37
You might consider adding a lift pump if there is no other sign of trouble. Keep an eye on engine oil level too. If it gets grossly over full it will be a result of an injector issue.

Runaway_Dmax
02-18-2008, 14:02
Might want to check the balance rates of the injectors too. When my injectors went south the first time I could smell raw diesel in the engine compartment a long time before I actually had to replace injectors. I had no fuel in the crankcase. I know this doesn't really explain loss of fuel pressure. Don't remember, but is there a Fuel Pressure Regulator on the back of the engine somewhere???