PDA

View Full Version : 6.6 Water in fuel blinking light

jimwd
02-13-2008, 16:33
I have got a 6.6 Duramax 2003 model that the water in fuel light blinks often. I have changed fuel filters and it might run 200 miles and then start blinking again. I have opened valve under filter and let it drain and this helps for 15 minutes. Also truck has started smoking some when idling but has not lost any power and not using oil. Could this light coming on have anything to do with the smoke and how can I remedy the problem with the water in fuel light blinking.

Dakster
02-13-2008, 18:52
Try draining the fuel filter into a cup. Look and see if you are in fact getting water in the fuel. If you are, then you got a bad batch of fuel. Unfortunately, you may have to drop, drain, and clean the fuel tank out. The filter can only do so much...

If the fuel is clean and clear in the cup when drained, you may have a faulty connection or a bad sensor. One of the techs can chime in as to what the code the WIF light sets and how the code affect driveability.

I know first hand that a lot of water in the diesel fuel is hard to get out and that it takes a drop, drain, and clean to get going again...

jimwd
02-13-2008, 20:24
Dakstar

When I do drain the filter only a few drops of what looks like fuel comes out. Never enough to catch in a cup or glass.

Duramaster
02-13-2008, 21:37
open the drain valve farther AND try pumping on the primer pump. I've done that before. It forces the fuel/ water out.

jbplock
02-14-2008, 02:55
Dakstar

When I do drain the filter only a few drops of what looks like fuel comes out. Never enough to catch in a cup or glass.

You can also need to open the bleeder - black plastic screw on top of the filter housing ..

:)

jimwd
02-14-2008, 07:19
Ok. I will try doing that. Thanks. Does anyone know if this would cause it to smoke while idling.