PDA

View Full Version : Holy un-burnt fuel Batman!

1bad383
02-11-2008, 19:09
As some of you I am battling with my '94 trying to get it drivable after months of it sitting with a new chip, motor, old inj pump. Got my hands on a TECH 1 scanner and fiddled with it for the better part of a Sunday afternoon. Neighbors loved me..... Somehow still having a huge unburnt fuel issue. Thought timing would cure it, nope. Seems like no matter where the pump is it still smokes bad, real bad. The timing info is as follows:
TDCO -.44*
Inj rate 1.90
Desired timing 0.0 , measured average 3.5

Swapped to stock chip, no difference.

Do I shoot for the desired and measured to be the same? Or concentrate on the TDCO? Why does the TDCO change from one re-learn to the next, never shutting the motor off. It went from -.35 to -.53 with no other changes!?!?

The paper work I have states -.25 / -.75 is my 'target zone'.

I'm starting to think it may be compression issue, takes compression to burn it it all..... New injectors, (no air in the lines), & motor.

I've looked on here many times, but have not seen a problem like this. Sorry for the long post, just trying to be complete.

Anybody know a good diesel guy in the Panama City / north Fl area, at this point willing to trailer it to get it right!!

Warren96
02-11-2008, 19:51
When it starts does it idle smoothly and smoke,or does it smoke when you get on it?

1bad383
02-11-2008, 21:07
When it cranks to life, it has a fair bit of fuel smoke. When I give it some RPM, ir realy starts to smoke. At idle I would describe it as a gasser with bad rings / guides, enough smoke to still see through it, but enough where you go not to get close to it.

Tried to drive the problem away, knew it would not work but had to try. Put a grand total of 114 miles on her with the new motor / problem.

1bad383
02-11-2008, 21:12
Just looked at my picture, and the problem I have. The two are not the same, in case anybody is wondering. At the very front of the picture is my S-10 getting after it. My duallys reason for existence, hauling it here and there.

Warren96
02-11-2008, 21:58
Does a lot of the smoke come out the oil filer? How is the coolant, do you have to keep toping it off?

1bad383
02-12-2008, 07:05
Both the oil and coolant are not mixing, have good pressure in the cooling system. Oil is still slightly tan in color. I'm dreading doing a compression test, and or cutting the oil filter apart...

Warren96
02-12-2008, 08:01
All the oil changes on mine were done by me and the color was never tan or brown, always either clear when it first went in, or black after a short drive.......

1bad383
02-12-2008, 20:53
I'm with you on the either new oil, or jet black staining your fingers oil. Remember this motor has 114 miles on it, flushed out cooler, new cooler lines the whole nine. Heck, I'm still getting used to having to actually look for the oil level on the stick.

Robyn
02-12-2008, 21:11
Just a thought. Check the routing on the High pressure fuel lines to be sure you did not mix up a couple. There are two that can be swapped into the wrong spot.
With this done the sucker will run but it will smoke like crazy.

There is a schematic here at the page that shows the positions on the IP head.

The top two high pressure outlets are #8 on the LH side and #7 on the RH side these are followed by 2-6-5-4-3-1 on clockwise order looking from the drivers seat.

Cyls are 2-4-6-8 on the RH side and 1-3-5-7 on the LH side.

Check this carefully as I have seen these mixed up and it just does not work :eek:

Have a look see.

Hope this helps

Robyn

Mainous
02-13-2008, 04:30
Does the engine start normally or does it take quite a bit of cranking? You may have the misaligned the pump gears or at worst be 180 degrees out. I did this once on an older mechanically injected motor. The truck would start and run but would smoke like crazy.

1bad383
02-13-2008, 15:58
Couldn't be the lines, just loosened them at the injectors and removed the pump and lines as one. Thanks though.

It does not appear to have very much blow by at all through the dipstick or the filler tube.

I have not ruled out messing up the gears during install, I've put a ton of motors together in my time. Not ruling that out though. Thinking about it, it ran fine before the injector incident. Ran as good as any 250K 6.5 does. There may be something to the misalignment....... The motor starts good enough, it does take a moderate amount of cranking to get it to light off. That will be fun checking!!!!