PDA

View Full Version : starter bolt broke off

allformike
02-11-2008, 10:45
one of my starter bolts broke off inside the block last night:mad:. and since i don't have a tap and dye set, i'm gunna be forced to pay someone else to touch my baby. this is a sad day for me, and my wallet. so do you guys think that after they get the broken piece out, are they doing to have to tap it for a larger bolt, like i thought i would of had to do. i know the machanic pretty well and he's gunna work with me on the price, but it still makes me really mad, exspecially that i have to miss work today.

john8662
02-11-2008, 14:20
After removing the starter, the piece can likely be retrieved by drilling the center of the remaining stud and using an easy-out. Another method is using a reverse rotation drill bit. The remaining piece is not going to be that tight in the block, because the missing bolt that held tension against the threads is now missing.

Getting the broke part out is the best method, no need to drill out for larger hole.

Do some searching on "starter bracket", which will lend some info onto possibly why you did break a starter bolt.

This missing bracket and or bolts/nuts that attach it will almost certainly lead to a broken starter bolt eventually.

Been there done that too :)

More Power
02-11-2008, 15:58
What John said....

I'd add that you need to be very careful with centering the drill bit onto the broken bolt. The cast iron block is much softer and easier to drill than the bolt. If the bit wanders off the broken bolt, it'll wallow out the threaded hole very quickly.

Jim