PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter, Oil Cooler

FEF
02-11-2008, 09:21
All,

My diesel conversion has virtually no clearance under the block at the oil filter. I'm considering blocking off the filter port, and putting a remote filter inline with the oil cooler.

Is that such a bad idea? I can't really see how, as it's full flow/pressure.

Has anyone sucesuffuly run a remote filter from the cooler ports?

john8662
02-11-2008, 14:02
If you mounted the filter Horizontally verses Vertically would that give you the clearance necessary to service the filter?

If so, you can use either a Hummer Oil Filter adapter on the block, they are numerous off these retired 6.2 Hummer engines, or you can get an adapter off any 92+ 6.5TD that was in a 4x4 application.

Besides these factory options, you could remote mount the filter somewhere more convenient, like an Amsoil kit.

John

FEF
02-11-2008, 17:59
True. At first I thought I could work wtih the 4WD configuration. However, that was ruled out a number of weeks ago. It's just too tight in there. Even if there was room I'd get oil all over the transmission every time I changed the filter. That would be a nasty mess.

I have 1" clarance at it's lowest point. I've found a relocator that's 1-1/6". I MIGHT be able to make it fit, but why go to any of the trouble of tinkering with it if the ports on the side of the block are already there.

The filter bypass I've found is only 3/4" deep. I'm thinking that AN fitings and braided SS lines would work just as well off the oil cooler ports as it would from a filter relocator. That is, unless the oil passage to the cooler port has some kind of flow restrictor or check valve.

The cooler ports appear to be plenty large enough to handle the flow of the oil pump. I wish I had a cut-away of the block in that area. I have no idea how the oil passages are run through there.

john8662
02-11-2008, 21:52
I don't believe you can use the cooler ports as a way to remote mount the filter. You'll need a boss on the oil filter mount to take the passages that the filter would normally take.

The cooler will still be necessary, via the cooler ports.

Have any pictures of what you're dealing with?

FEF
02-12-2008, 09:37
Ya, I have pictures.

I'll post some in my Revcon Swap thread later in the week. The oil filter issue is very unique becasue the Toronado/Eldorado drive-train puts the tranny under the left side of the engine. In fact, I can only get to the left oil pan bolts when the transmission is removed.

It will be great when it's done, but the filter thing is tricky. I've heard people say they've put 6.2s in early Revcon/GMC motor homes, but no one has pics of the lower left side.

joe bleaux
02-12-2008, 10:31
FEF,

What are AN threads? Where are you getting SS braided lines?

Thanks

Joe

True. At first I thought I could work wtih the 4WD configuration. However, that was ruled out a number of weeks ago. It's just too tight in there. Even if there was room I'd get oil all over the transmission every time I changed the filter. That would be a nasty mess.

I have 1" clarance at it's lowest point. I've found a relocator that's 1-1/6". I MIGHT be able to make it fit, but why go to any of the trouble of tinkering with it if the ports on the side of the block are already there.

The filter bypass I've found is only 3/4" deep. I'm thinking that AN fitings and braided SS lines would work just as well off the oil cooler ports as it would from a filter relocator. That is, unless the oil passage to the cooler port has some kind of flow restrictor or check valve.

The cooler ports appear to be plenty large enough to handle the flow of the oil pump. I wish I had a cut-away of the block in that area. I have no idea how the oil passages are run through there.

FEF
02-12-2008, 16:35
AN fittings are basicly a tapered fitting. It's not cheap, but they are more reliable then barbs or other fittings. What might even be better would be SwageLoc fittings. They are an EXCELENT compression fitting that can be had with pipe threads on one end.

AN fittings, from Summit racing:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=an+fittings&N=700+115+4294849624&Ntk=KeywordSearch

Swageloc:
http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_products_home.aspx?SEARCH=/search/Tube+Fittings+and+Tube+Adapters/id-10000212/type-1/rmid-10002045

The hoses are custom made to my length specs at the local truck shop. However, braided stainless steel lines can be bought with AN fittings at many common lengths.

joe bleaux
02-12-2008, 17:50
Thanks, FEF. I knew about Swagelok but not AN.

Joe

Fumes
02-20-2008, 21:16
I'm planning on putting on a "sandwitch" adapter then the oil filter. Then I will put the oil cooler on from there. This is in a van, and I have no room up front for the external cooler, so I bought a cooler with a fan and thermostat built in it. I will be mounting under the van on the frame. I haven't installed it yet. I hope this will work.