PDA

View Full Version : It finally happened

d.h.
02-09-2008, 16:26
Oil cooler line blew .Motor knocking now.Could one pull pan grind crank renew bearings,and call it good for trade in or would their be more involved.Truck runs well exept for slight knock.I,m trying to avoid new engine as I,d rather get a duramax.Truck is in mint condition other than this newly accuired problem.If I get new engine I,d be better off keeping it.Not quite sure what to do.Any thoughts??

DmaxMaverick
02-09-2008, 17:26
You may have gotten lucky. If you pull the pan, check the main and rod bearings. If you luck out and they are OK, you probably just collapsed a lifter. It depends on how long it ran w/o oil pressure and how hard you were running it at the time. If it got really hot, it's probably more than just bearings or a lifter. I've seen most survive.

d.h.
02-09-2008, 17:38
Wife was driving it at the time.Called me on my cell phone and said as se was driving"the oil pressure guage is at zero and the truck is ticking" I told her to pull over and shut truck off.I got it home replaced oil cooler lines.When I first went to start,had a hard time turning over as you could hear a hell of a squeal from inside of engine. I,m thinking very dry bearings.The truck eventually started .My concern is if I parcially repair to bottom end I won,t be able to trust for a heavy pull again.

d.h.
02-09-2008, 18:37
If I find this engine is a major rebuild,being as I have intercooler guages and such,would it be viable to buy a longblock of the 300hp range.The truck has a new rear locker and 2 weeks on a set of new michelins.I,d like a duramax but with a new engine I,d likely keep.or am I better off bandading and getting duramax.Sorry if this isn,t proper spot for this.Thanks

bigeasy
02-09-2008, 20:26
There are some fair deals on motors if you look around.
Why trade for payments in this economy?

john8662
02-09-2008, 21:16
The squealing during your dry startup definitly indicates the bearings took it hard during this problem. I'd drop the pan and look at the bearings, starting at the front of the engine and working your way back. If the crank isn't scored, you could roll in a new set of STD bearings, checking along the way with some Plastigauge to verify the clearance is in check.

Just depends on what you see on what your course of action is.

What kind of oil pressure are you seeing currently? The same, lower, or much lower?

J

d.h.
02-09-2008, 21:51
I moved truck under cover and oil pressure is about the same as before.LOts of smoke and you can hear a definate miss in exaust tone as well as a knock from bottom end.The truck has 235000km on it.My dilema is truck is worth nothing as is.I,d like a newer dmax but with college comming for my son thats a little much.Maybe an 03-05,but if engine needs to be overhauled rather than do bearings and hope for a little longer life I thought buy a long block and refresh the old girl.Maybe put off newer for a while. Thanks for replies.

john8662
02-10-2008, 13:28
With a miss and smoke, you've got something up in the valvetrain, as mentioned already a lifter.

This is a Dilemma, the more you do yourself, the more you save.

d.h.
02-10-2008, 13:59
Dilema I agree.It,s that grinding noise I heard on anitial startup that has me concerned.I,ve been looking at complete reman engines from kennedy and peninsular.If I pull out, with the mileage on motor already I may as well bite the bullet and get new one now and keep for a while to absorb cost as it won,t be worth anymore with new engine on trade.

JTodd
02-10-2008, 14:15
It sounds like your damage might be in the normal, replaceable places (bearings). I would take a look at the bottom end and go from there. I would think your block is not damaged, so why go to the expense of replacing it.

Do that and you can mention "rebuilt engine" when selling.

d.h.
02-10-2008, 14:51
I,m taking it to a friend tomarrow to have a look at he can take pan off and check things over.Maybe I,ll be lucky

d.h.
02-11-2008, 19:15
Decided to go with new engine.Talked to a diesel tech(friend) and then i,ll keep truck for another few years.I,m going 18:1pistons as I already have i/c and guages.Shop told me I,d need a reflashed pcm as well to run new engine.This should improve towing I hope with regards to not getting as hot on the big hills.Is this an appropriate route or am I wasting my money?

rustyk
02-11-2008, 19:30
Usually (assuming your wifester shut it off immediately), only lower-end damage will occur. Occasionally a lifter will collapse quickly and punch a piston with a valve. Good luck!

d.h.
02-11-2008, 22:11
Unfortunatly,judging by the amount of engine oil up the back of canopy,there was quite the oil vortex going on behind the truck.She didn,t notice low oil pressure until she heard engine making different sound "a ticking noise".She was unable to pull over right away with zero oil pressure as was on main highway. I had a bad feeling about that trip.The starter barely had strength to turn engine over after I fixed line.

ccatlett1984
02-12-2008, 23:32
I'd bet that your block is still good, but with dumping oil something happened on the upper end of the engine.