PDA

View Full Version : IP Head and Rotor

BamaChief600
02-08-2008, 19:53
I am about to pull the ole IP that has been giving me fits and get it reworked. The shop has warned me that replacing the head and rotor will be $. He says he can save me money if he can get a reworked one from a company he has good luck with. Should I save the money or go ahead and get a new Head and rotor? $600ish vs $1200ish

rameye
02-09-2008, 06:43
If it was me and I was going to keep the truck long term ...I'd get a new pump...yes its a big nut to crack...but I so do not enjoy removing the pump!! Worth the money not to do it again.

I found that a professional rebuild was'nt a big savings over a new pump... 2-300 bucks

If I was going to short term the truck...I'd go on the cheap.

BamaChief600
02-09-2008, 09:25
Thats the way I am leaning. I dont want to have to take it back off. I do plan on keeping the truck to pull the camper.

rameye
02-09-2008, 13:45
shop around for the best price...US diesel parts had the best price on a new pump.....good support if you do something dumb also..

dont ask me how I know..

The support after the sale was worth every penny....

BamaChief600
02-09-2008, 15:02
IP is off as of today. Now I get to go shopping...I was going to use a local builder but he is wanting to charge me $1200+ for a rebuild. I do know I have a bad Head and rotor and Im hoping this will not effect core charges to much..

rameye
02-09-2008, 15:54
I did brand new for that..last year..no disrespect to the local guy...

My lines let some crap go thru the injectors when I did my swap...really wreaked havoc!! Guess if you move them a little the insides can flake off. Found a new line set on ebay...something to think about...

I ran a new length of fuel line from the filter up also...nothing worse than removing that manifold again and again!!! I engraved all the bolts and brackets as they came off..numbered them cause they are a pain..

I also cheat and restart my machine before I bolt on the manifold....found a little leaker I thought I had gotten the lines tight enough....guess I missed one.

Enjoy

BamaChief600
02-15-2008, 17:35
Well new IP in from US Diesel and I got it in with no issues. Darkness stopped me from getting it complete. Tomorrow I get to the task of putting it all together. Ill give an update post tomorrow.

BamaChief600
02-15-2008, 18:29
Forgot to ask this earlier. I got a new Fel-Pro intake gasket set and it looks different than the ones on now. Between the banks the old one has like a metal piece covering what looks to be a port. The new gasket is open just like it is a port but it goes no where on the manifold.

joe bleaux
02-15-2008, 21:17
Does your have the EGR? That could be for an engine with an EGR valve.

I am guessing here.

Joe

Forgot to ask this earlier. I got a new Fel-Pro intake gasket set and it looks different than the ones on now. Between the banks the old one has like a metal piece covering what looks to be a port. The new gasket is open just like it is a port but it goes no where on the manifold.

BamaChief600
02-15-2008, 21:25
No EGR...I guess I should take a picture of them.......

john8662
02-15-2008, 21:31
Yep, the intake gaskets for a 6.5 whether it's ordered for a light or heavy duty 6.5 are the same, without the metal inserts.

I don't know why Felpro did this, I like the metal insert myself.

Will it work fine otherwise, probably.

You can go back to the parts store, say you have an 1986 1-ton with a 6.2, heavy duty and you'll get the part that has the metal insert, which blocks EGR ports in the head. This will ultimatly be blocked by the non-egr intake manifold with the other gaskets.

J Dawg

BamaChief600
02-16-2008, 14:34
SUCCESS!!!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/Fyrmn/Smileys/respect-059.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/Fyrmn/Smileys/a8556dc9.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/Fyrmn/Smileys/thsmileysCA0VH8EQ.gif Can ya tell I am happy?........