PDA

View Full Version : new windshield :(

cwillis
02-08-2008, 02:55
So i need a new one bc the one i have is cracked. The lowest wuote ive had is 187. is there a cheaper way to do this?

DennisG01
02-08-2008, 06:44
Most insurance companies have a provision already included in your normal insurance for windshield replacements. It's usually $50 or $100 out of your pocket, sometimes free.

1984potato
02-08-2008, 10:40
Comprehensive or "Other Than Collision" coverage will take care of the windshield of you have it on your policy at the time of the loss. It pays for a covered car that is stolen or damaged by causes other than collision or upset. Examples are damages caused by fire, wind, hail, flood, earthquake, theft, vandalism, or hitting a bird or animal. You can have a deductible but the numbers I have seen don't justify a deductible.

I either have too much time on my hands or I am starting to like my job after 3 years...sit down with your agent and have a heart to heart. In my Commonwealth, Comprehensive claims currently do not have a surcharge attached to them-translates to insurance rates do not go up because of your claim.

Haus.

rustyk
02-11-2008, 20:30
I'm a recovering insurance peddler. Cracked windshields are NOT covered under "comprehensive" (called in the policy, "other than collision"). That is, unless the crack can be attributed to the impact of some object, as evidenced by a chip somewhere along the crack. Otherwise, it's not covered, being defined as normal wear and tear, inherent vice, or design/installation defect. As 1984potato noted, have your agent file a Notice of Loss with the company; many times for a modest claim like this, they'll agree to payment without needing proof of proximate cause.

$187 sounds very reasonable, especially since in most vehicles, the windshield is a structural member, and requires some expertise in properly installing.

DennisG01
02-12-2008, 06:18
Well, I've had three windshields replaced under the insurance companies "windshield replacement" policy at a $50 deductible (less than my normal deductible). Not comprehensive, "windshield replacement". One was due to an ice storm, one was a rock kicked up by a truck, and one was simply a windshield that had a sort-of "hazing" on it that showed up in direct sunlight. This one was basically from wear and tear - the insurance company replaced it. It could be that this "windshield replacement" thing differs from state to state. However, as mentioned above, that price is very reasonable.

Check with your insurance company, first.