PDA

View Full Version : 93?

BigGun J
02-07-2008, 21:18
I have been spending all my time on the 6.2 forum. I just drove a 93 6.5TD2500 2WD auto. It is very clean and runs out nice. Does this IP have the circuit board attached or is it still mechanical? Is this motor pre piston skirt? I am very jazzed but just haven't done much home work on this forum. What are your thoughts?? It has 175K, the owner has only had it for 6 months so no long term maintenance history. It sounded and drove nice. The motor is a bit dirty but does not apper to have been fussed with or detailed any time soon.

Thanks, Jim

DmaxMaverick
02-07-2008, 21:44
If it's stock.......

The IP is mechanical, as is the wastegate. It has a throttle cable, not an APP module. The block will be pre piston spray (not skirt). If it is an F engine (8th digit of VIN), it won't have/need a vacuum pump, or EGR, and is rated for more power, than an S engine. Very little electronic intervention (interruption) with the 93's.

Sounds good if the truck is in good shape and the price it right.

BigGun J
02-07-2008, 21:52
Thank you for the response. That is exactly what I was asking for. I will check it out closer tommorow. It just might be my lucky day to buy a new toy.

Jim

JohnC
02-08-2008, 10:15
All the '93 6.5TD's were "F" engines. It's a good setup, although the waste gate control could benefit from replacement.

DmaxMaverick
02-08-2008, 11:15
All the '93 6.5TD's were "F" engines. It's a good setup, although the waste gate control could benefit from replacement.

I thought that at one time too. I turned down a 93 because it was an S. Bought the 95 with an F instead. California emissions may have been unique.

JohnC
02-08-2008, 11:43
Don't know about Kalifornia, probably never will. When we ordered the '93 the 6.5 was only available in 8600# GVW and up as an "F" engine. All others were 6.2's.

DmaxMaverick
02-08-2008, 12:23
Lived here most of my life, and still ain't got it figured out. Gave up trying.

The 93 I looked at was a 2500LD, 7200 GVWR with 6 lugs and SF rear axle. I've only seen the one.

BigGun J
02-08-2008, 17:36
Drove the truck again. It is the F vin. The motor probably has never been cleaned. It has a layer of suit "dry oily crud" That does not really shy me away. Bottom of motor is basically clean and the tranny is dry as well. The breather, canister on passanger side valve cover tube enters the intake tube to the turbo. That has some wet oily crud there? I have been driving a 93 ford 7.3 and his truck is quite a bit quieter. Sure seems to run out nice. 175K with no real history. I will see what responses you all give and sleep on it. Thanks for the replys. Oil looks like diesel oil and the tranny fluid did not smell bad. I have never owned a auto before.

Jim

BigGun J
02-09-2008, 18:27
I bought the truck today. Had the oportunity to drive it quite a bit in town and hwy. Sure is smooth running down the freeway, 65 mph = 2400 rpm. Climbed a few hills, punched it a few times and no noticeable smoke out the pipe. My 93 7.3 always puffs some black. When ideling at a stop there is a steady buzz/vibration that seems to be comeing from under the dash on the passanger side. It is not the heater fan. I don't believe I noticed it until I was the passanger. Not alarming just does not seem to be comeing from the motor? What tranny is in the truck? It has an OD auto. I found some old wireing and fifth wheel hitch holes so it has pulled a load in its past. No added gauges/pillar for boost, pyro and tranny temp. Does the vin give hints on gearing or limited slip? I did not see a tag on the rear end.

Thanks, Jim

DmaxMaverick
02-09-2008, 18:59
The VIN won't tell you what you want to know. There is an RPO sticker in the glove box that lists all the options the truck came with. Compare your RPO sticker with THIS (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/rpocodes.htm) code chart.

bcbigfoot
02-10-2008, 09:15
I bought the truck today. Had the oportunity to drive it quite a bit in town and hwy. Sure is smooth running down the freeway, 65 mph = 2400 rpm. Climbed a few hills, punched it a few times and no noticeable smoke out the pipe. My 93 7.3 always puffs some black. When ideling at a stop there is a steady buzz/vibration that seems to be comeing from under the dash on the passanger side. It is not the heater fan. I don't believe I noticed it until I was the passanger. Not alarming just does not seem to be comeing from the motor? What tranny is in the truck? It has an OD auto. I found some old wireing and fifth wheel hitch holes so it has pulled a load in its past. No added gauges/pillar for boost, pyro and tranny temp. Does the vin give hints on gearing or limited slip? I did not see a tag on the rear end.

Thanks, Jim

Your likely feeling the diesel fuel lift pump located directly under the driver seat on the inside of the frame rail. The trans is most likely the 4l80e, it's a very good trans. but can give some electrical/sensor/solinoid problems. I would guess 4.10 rear gears but many of the 6.5's show they are reving higher than they really are because at some point in thier life thier alternator has been replaced by a rebuilt small block chevy alt. that has a smaller pulley on it. The 6.5's get thier tackometer signal from the alt. The end result is a tack that reads a few hundred rpms faster than actual.

BigGun J
02-10-2008, 18:15
After sitting over night I found the top radiator hose sucked in a vacuum? I removed the radiator cap "16 lb cap?" to releave the vac and could see down deep into the radiator. The overflow canister had fluid in it? Tried blowing some air into the hose and it popped off. The radiator had filled to the top while I was getting my air hose out. I removed the overflow tank and found the hoes at the tank had some soft crud "looked like bread" The tank was not that dirty in side and the seller had said it had recently had a coolant flush. Cleaned it all out, add 50/50 green to the tank. Took truck for a good drive, coolant temp steady at about 180 "same as yesterday" the level in the tank ddd not move. Looking into the overflow tank while the truck was running I would get a few random bubbles. Shut it off and ever so slowly cracked the cap and it had coolant. Restarted the truck and watched for bubbles. No bubbles came for the couple minutes I watched. I hope I did not get suckered. The truck runs good, does not smoke on hard exceleration. I will keep a close eye on it.

Jim

DmaxMaverick
02-10-2008, 19:25
Not to worry....Just yet.

You need a new cap.

daustin
02-10-2008, 19:29
That sounds fairly normal for a '93 - just like mine. Mine is a 3500 dually, aside from a few minor issues i like it. My first diesel, think i'm starting to aquire a liking for the diesel exhaust smell. lol
Don