PDA

View Full Version : Gages freaking out/no start/surging.

914turboford
02-05-2008, 07:25
In conjunction with a no start/surging/engine runaway/no response to throttle pedal situation my tach/speedo run wildly or don't work. I also got code 16 (VSS buffer fault). Any ideas about that?

Brian

Robyn
02-05-2008, 08:15
This sounds like a ground issue.

Check all the grounds at the rear of the RH head area. Make sure the battery grounds are good and clean as well as the positive cables.
Good connections are paramount. (There are several small ground wires that come from the main harness and fasten to the back of the intake area on the RH side)

If the battery cables are old, replace them as the cores get coroded where you cant see it.

Grounding issues will drive these things nuts.

Good luck

Robyn

914turboford
02-05-2008, 10:12
I did clean many grounds awhile back including those that attach to the RH head. I did not clean the connection to the actual firewall. This wierdness occurred after I put in a remote mount FSD with a 6' harness. But I plugged it back into the OE harness yesterday and it didn't help.

914turboford
02-06-2008, 09:01
I cleaned the ground on the passenger side frame rail and the truck fired right up. Throttle pedal would not work. I unplugged the VSS buffer and the throttle worked. Plug it back in and it doesn't work. I was able to drive it up the driveway. I'm going to try to track down a VSS buffer.

914turboford
02-07-2008, 11:47
I went to the JY yesterday and got a VSS buffer from a Gas 4x4 2/3 ton Burb. Plugged it in and the truck drove perfectly 40 miles to work this morning towing an empty car trailer. I am a Christian and I thank God for this.