PDA

View Full Version : idle, not so good

allformike
02-04-2008, 21:51
so i went out to the the truck up before i left for work today and it took a lot longer to start, and it was an unusally warm day today. it would fire then die. so i gave it some pettle them it idled, but very high, i mean high enough to where i was kinda worried so i shut it right off. i started it again and it idled really high again, so i popped the hood and unplugged the high idle and plugged it back in, then i idled like it always does cold. after i got out of work tonight i started it and it didn't want to idle again. i gave it some pettle and it idled normal. so i'm not sure what's up with it, any thoughts? thanks again

More Power
02-11-2008, 22:55
Good fuel, clean fuel filter, normal fuel lift pump pressure?

Jim

Robyn
02-12-2008, 08:40
Does the truck run ok after its warm?
Like Jim said check the filter and the lift pump pressure.

How many miles on the IP. The advance piston could be getting worn and not doing its job (Sticking)

You might try temporarily installing a clear plastic hose on the fule return line out from the IP and watching it to see if you are getting air bubbles on startup and for the first few minutes.

You could have a lift pump that is losing the check valve and this will allow fuel drain back and explain the hard start and the eratic running.

Give it all a look see.

Best

Robyn

allformike
02-13-2008, 07:43
after it sat for a few days it has been starting good like normal, maybe it was from the days that were well below zero. the pump has about 2 or 3 thousand miles on it or so. where do i put the clear hose on to check for air bubbles anyway?

More Power
02-14-2008, 15:17
The fuel return fitting is on top of the fuel injection pump. Temporarily replace the existing rubber hose with a length of like-size clear vinyl tubing - available at most hardware stores. The vinyl tubing shouldn't be left on for longer than it takes to see what's going on. It isn't as heat tolerant as the rubber hose. ;)

Jim