PDA

View Full Version : 01 duramax engine shaking any ideas?

garyrchev
02-04-2008, 12:27
I have a 2001 3500 dually ,85000 miles The engine gets a miss and whole engine and truck starts shaking it looks like she tail pipe is going to shake right off, It doesnt do this all the time every week or so for maybe a day, the thing is it only does it at idle if you tap the pedal the slightest bit it goes away until you let off, it is manual trans and if you put it in neautral and roll down a hill it also goes away its been to the dealer about 6 times and noone has a clue no trouble codes. Any body have any ideas?

madmatt
02-04-2008, 15:55
Is it a California truck???

Duramaster
02-04-2008, 20:23
When you have taken the truck to the dealer, did they ever check the balance rates of the injectors? They will/ would probably find that they are around 15 mm +/- either way. Anyway, sounds like the dual mass flywheel is broken. I have seen this a few times and boy was I glad to see GM discontinue the 6 speed transmission option for use behind the DMAX engines!!! I was told by a GM TAC consultant that the right kind of driver could brake the flywheel in less than 5 miles!! That seems a little harsh, but we have seen repeated broken flywheels on the same vehicles and it just boils down to abuse ( or dumb luck).

Good luck with the flywheel. :o

garyrchev
02-10-2008, 13:19
When it was at the dealer they tested the ijectors and replaced the ones on the driver side only said they couldnt do the rest unless there wa a code, the history of the truck says it had a flywheel put on before i bought it so maybe it is , would it come and go if it was the flywheel?or would it be constant.

Duramaster
02-10-2008, 20:33
The broken dual mass flywheel is more noticable at idle. It has been awhile since I have seen one in the shop ( at least a year!) I am sure that there would be some sort of harmonic resonance of idle simply because the flywheel would no longer be balanced. At idle though, the engine usually makes a chuga chuga chuga sound.