PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Hydra-Boost

dually2002
02-03-2008, 10:56
Not a dripping leak but more of a long term seepage. Maybe a two ounce leak since I owned the truck but getting worse. Its an 02 with 70000 on the clock.Question is : Is it a seal leak in which an stop leak additive could help? Had a serious leak on my 66 Charger and Lucas power steering treatment all but cured it. Leak isn't bad enough to change unit

DmaxMaverick
02-03-2008, 11:29
It depends on where/how it's leaking. Most of the time, the accumulator (small can shaped thing inboard) or hoses. Fluid conditioner may help, depending on what is leaking. Flush the system and fill with synthetic ATF to start with. Many times this alone will stop seal leaks. If it continues, try some ATF conditioner. Not much, though. The system capacity is 1/20 of a tranny.

Also, test your accumulator. It is what gives you reserve braking, like you need when you lose a belt or pump. With the engine up to operating temp, idle for a few minutes, then shut off (don't touch the brake pedal, yet). Once the engine is off, immediately fully depress the brake pedal (normal braking pressure) several times. You should have power braking assist, and feel as the assist goes away with successive applications. Do this test several times, with wait periods after shutdown. 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes. You should have at least 3 full brake applications with each test. If you get none, the accumulator is shot (as is the boost unit). If you get fewer applications at the longer wait periods, the accumulator is bleeding down. How bad may or may not be a concern. Most dire situations don't require emergency braking after 1 minute. A unit that delivers less than optimal reserve braking or bleeds down is usually an indicator of a failing unit.

All that said, many of these weep a little fluid over time with no other problems. As long as it tests OK and the leak is no more than a little seepage, it's probably OK. Just clean it up ocasionally and watch the fluid level. If all you've lost is 2 oz. over 5 years, and it isn't a sudden leak, it's probably something I wouldn't try to fix, as long as it operates properly.

Hook_'em_Horns!
02-03-2008, 22:33
My '02 and '05 have always had seepage, just enough for dirt to collect on and be noticeable. Never noticed any residue below on the fender well though.