PDA

View Full Version : Runaway and surging after FSD remote mount.

914turboford
02-02-2008, 21:19
I was having stalling/no start issues on my 94 Burb. I decided the PMD was at fault. I bought a 6' harness and made a mount with a heat sink from a stereo amplifier and mounted it in the front bumper. While I had it off I decided to check the nuts that hold the two big resistors on the PMD. All four were loose so I snugged them (perhaps to vigorously?). I got my remote mount all done and it went from no start to starting right away. However, the pedal was dead and moving it had no effect on engine speed. I let it idle for about 5 minutes and the pedal seemed to work normally. Drove 20 miles with it working perfectly. Loaded a car onto my car trailer. After restart the engine ran away. Did it a few times, at one point reaching 5K rpm. Not good. At any rate it settled down and made the trip home. Drove it again on a 20 mile trip. Perfect on the way there. After Then began runaway/surging combined with stalling/no start. Limped it home. While removing the PMD to remote mount I changed the timing to a mark that seemed more normal for the fuel lines and was scratched in pretty deep to the timing chain cover. Before this I had noticed what sounded like pinging and did not notice it on these two drives. I have no SES light but it does light up when the key is first turned. I think I had a 35 before changing to remote mount but did not get a chance to check it after this issue.

More Power
02-03-2008, 12:20
Just a guess.... Your FSD is bad, or your wiring is not what it ought to be.

Secondarily, you should have the timing set using a Tech I or Tech II scan tool. Arbitrarily moving the pump is not a good idea.

Jim