PDA

View Full Version : gmc in oz

alpinadave
02-01-2008, 00:35
Hi guys need help got a 96 gmc sierra 6.5 td with 70000 klm just replaced the pmd in the cab on a heat sink with cool air blowing on it . Still having stalling problems when its hot but re starts after cranking for about a miniute then drives fine till i stop again . Iam thinking it might be the fuel solonied .

DickWells
02-01-2008, 11:06
Sounds more like a lift pump problem. Try the routine of removing the lift pump relay from the power block on driver's side and jumpering the two sockets with a paper clip or something. I think the numbers are 35 and 86, but not sure. I've got to get in touch with my son back home and have him check. This issue seems to be coming up about once a day, lately. Anyway, when you jump these two sockets, you should hear your lift pump working, and if you've cracked the bleeder on the top of the f-filter, you should get fuel (maybe even some air). Your IP will generally run the truck OK without a good LP, once it's started. Unfortuneately, the OPS, LP, and IP can all be suspected. That's the way it was with my Sub. back in 98, when the dealer replaced all 3 in that order. Turned out to be the IP in the end.
Take a look at Kennedy's post in this Forum, next previous post, I think. John is the Diesel Guru. Even More Power is known to quote him from time to time. I'm just an old farm kid who knows just enough to get into trouble.
Good luck.
Dick Wells:)

DickWells
02-02-2008, 13:46
Just talked to my son. He opened up the Sub and checked the fuel pump relay for me.
The sockets to jump together are 30 and 87.
The relay is referenced under the power center cover, but it's located on the engine (right) side and front of the box.
When my first IP gave up back in 99, I had to get out and build up some pressure in order to start up and go anywhere. Did it dozens of times before the OPS, LP and IP were all replaced.
DW:)