PDA

View Full Version : Inside rear view mirror ?

Tow Go 2
01-31-2008, 19:28
I have a 2001 D Max with the overhead console. I have a plain mirror, no temp or compass.
There is a wiring harness above the headliner with I believe seven pins on the connecter but only five have wires. Was there a mirror available with compass and temp in 01? Does anyone know what the wiring harness is for? There is also a filler panel in the upper console that will pop right out. Does anyone know of anything that could have been ordered to there? The panel is approximately 2 x 5 inches.

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
01-31-2008, 19:58
Yes. There was the electrochromic mirror with compass, temp, and Onstar buttons, available for 2001 (mine has this). Other wires would be for the 2 overhead lights in the console. The upper level console is different than the smaller, like yours. Mine runs 1/2 the length of the headliner (ext. cab), and has 3 compartments in it as well. The harness wires may be there for the compass, etc, but you also need the temp sensor in the grill, and BCM programming to make it work.

Normally, I'd be happy to pull the console and verify which wires do what, but I have gages installed there, and R/R isn't so simple. There should be other members here with the same option, though. I can look up the wiring diagram for connector info and wire color, if necessary.

Tow Go 2
02-01-2008, 04:48
Thanks DmaxMaverick,

I also have the longer console and there are wires above. I was just wondering about the options that might have used those wires. Please do not bother taking yours down. I will get hold of my local GM parts man and check out the availability of the mirror and temp pick up. I am still wondering what the factory put where the block off plate is. I have also thought it would be a nice place for some guages.

Thanks again.

DmaxMaverick
02-01-2008, 13:18
There were several other options with that console, not specific to just the trucks. For example, the same console is used for Denali and Burb's, which had the rear air option with the forward controls located there. Homelink would be another possibility.

Yeah. Gages fit nice there. JK (and others) offer a billet aluminum bezel for 2 gages that replaces the blank. A little pricey, but very sharp. Installation was pretty easy once the harnesses were in place (I mounted the pyro amp in the garage door opener compartment...looong pyro extension needed). If you have an Edge/Attitude, you can also get the bezel for the Attitude monitor for it.