PDA

View Full Version : Another Transmission Line Leak Story

Falk781
01-31-2008, 12:42
So my truck has 40,000 miles on it now and is an 06' LLY Crew Cab. I've been a mechanic for a very long time so for those of you who are mechanics or mechanically oriented, I'm sure you can relate with my frustration.

I am in the process of relocating from PA to TX as I have taken a new job with another organization. We are supposed to load the truck up and ship it but before that happens, I thought I would regrease the intermediate shaft as 20,000 miles after I did it the first time, it's starting to make noise.

While I was working on it, I decided to take a roll underneath and check for leaks. Low and behold I found the line between the allison and the radiator starting to form a drip at the crimp. If you have researched it, you will have found that this is hugely common especially with the change in temperatures.

The line is on national back order and is 51.00 my cost. The dealer who originally said it would probably be covered under the 6/100K warranty with the Duramax Allison combo warranty has now said it isn't. They want 400.00 to change that line and a pressure power steering line coming off of the hydro boost valve that I also saw was getting wet.

Right now, they aren't even allowing orders for it until at least next week.

I know of one guy who has had 4 trans lines changed in 25K miles and there is no recall on this.

Under warranty, I have already had one leaking power steering line replaced along with the entire steering box for leaks. Add to that the tailshaft seal and PTO seals for leaks in addition to the rear diff gasket. The truck was also recalled 4 times for Glow Plug Mod reprog, a sticker missing, a potential other power steering line failure problem and one other thing that I can't even remember.

I'm frustrated and with everything going on, I don't have time to take the time out to change it myself even if I could get the parts. :confused:

Mark Rinker
02-01-2008, 06:33
My '06 with 46K had the same line replaced recently under warranty. Last week, a driver reported a single drop of red tranny fluid in the snow under the truck, same area as before.

Decided to wait and see if it progresses, or maybe if that was simply left behind from the previous leak.

Sounds like I might be on the same path, based on this thread.

Falk781
02-01-2008, 06:52
I don't understand why they don't recall or at the very least, warranty the issue since there are so many cases of these hose crimps leaking on both the trans side and the power steering side.

It's not as if you can continue to drive if it blows out. Then on top of it, it's on back order so if it did blow out, your really sunk.

I believe the job calls for 2+ then they add an 85.00 diagnostic fee. He tells me that since it's a diesel, the diagnostic fee is normally doubled because they are more difficult to diagnose.

As I said, cost on the part is 51.00.

How did you get yours warrantied and have you seen any seepage of your p/s lines.

I was thinking about taking the old one back and trying to make a braided line. Any idea what the trans pressure is on those lines? I'll check the rubber and see if it's stamped.

Kennedy
02-01-2008, 08:28
I've heard this complaint before, and scratched my head. My 2002, 2005, and 2007 do not leak and we just don't hear about the 2001-2005 models having problems. My 2007 doesn't have enough miles yet.

Mark Rinker
02-01-2008, 09:00
Maybe its time for the Kennedy braided replacement lines! :D

Falk781
02-01-2008, 09:35
To be honest with you, every powersteering and transmission line should be braided.

This is the second power steering line that has started to leak at the crimp and if you remember, GM recalled Hummers Corvettes and a few other vehicles including the 2500 HD for a failing powersteering line. Mine was supposedly checked and found to be not a problem.

If you look at the proquest schematic, you will also see some sort of adapter kit that is 30+ dollars on each end. The real kicker is that the one going into the transmissison can be one of two sizes and they're nonrefundable.

From the schematic, I can't really tell what's in the kit but apparently the dealership is not changing them.

I'm assuming the line comes flared and has a threaded fitting. Maybe the adapter kit is actually for what you're threading the line into.

spongebob
02-04-2008, 10:55
mine were replace under warranty..

ksss
02-17-2008, 09:46
Mine is leaking. I just have not taken it in yet. 06 with 17K

More Power
02-17-2008, 14:43
I haven't seen a leaking crimped fitting yet, but I have seen small amounts of ATF near the bottom quick-disconnect fitting on the radiator. I suppose some of the ooze could wick back along the length of the line and appear as though the crimp fitting in leaking. I suggest looking at the quick-disconnect fitting at the radiator as the source of the leak.

If so, you might try positioning the lines so they enter the radiator squarely. Being held off at an angle could be the cause of the leak in the first place. Secondarily, you could try replacing the o-ring.

Jim

Dakster
02-17-2008, 19:37
To be honest with you, every powersteering and transmission line should be braided.

This is the second power steering line that has started to leak at the crimp and if you remember, GM recalled Hummers Corvettes and a few other vehicles including the 2500 HD for a failing powersteering line. Mine was supposedly checked and found to be not a problem.

If you look at the proquest schematic, you will also see some sort of adapter kit that is 30+ dollars on each end. The real kicker is that the one going into the transmissison can be one of two sizes and they're nonrefundable.

From the schematic, I can't really tell what's in the kit but apparently the dealership is not changing them.

I'm assuming the line comes flared and has a threaded fitting. Maybe the adapter kit is actually for what you're threading the line into.

I have some advice that may help. I would talk with the service manager about this. I would firmly, but politely explain to him/her that you reported this problem earlier and that it was the subject of a recall. That it has been reported previously and while the vehicle was under the 3/36 warranty (if it was) reported/fixed. The manufacturer can't attempt to fix it or band-aid fix it until your warranty expires to then deny you a warranty claim. If that fails there are people on this forum that can give you names and numbers to call after you've done your due diligence.

-- I don't usually give up without a fight when I think that I am correct. It may take someone of higher authority to approve it. Also, If you can put together a list of recalls and tsb's about the problem it will help prove our case.

It sounds like a little effort and getting you point across may be worth it since we are not talking about a $50 repair... A $50 part apparently, but not repair bill.

gophergunner
02-17-2008, 22:22
yeah my 2006 likes to leak quite a bit, this is my third set of tranny lines and they are leaking at the crimps only. i climbed around underneath to cheak and the vertical portion going to the rad is clean and dry.

i hate to even get them replaced, i'm just going to pay a bunch to have it fixed and i know it will leak again.

also, my power steering line was leaking, replaced once and i notice its all wet again. if i ever get around to it, the power steering one may be able to get replaced by a simple hydraulic hose. i got no problems with that, i'd just be a tad bit worried that i'd get little bits of crud into my transmission if i had some lines made up for that.

if there are aftermarket lines available for the 2006 trucks i'd be willing to dish out for them rather than the gm lines.

Bravo Whiskey 21
02-20-2008, 19:05
I noticed that my coolant level was a little low w/7k(back awhile) and took to dealer. They said it was lines @ tranny and that the trans lines were dripping as well(I had not noticed that). They took care off every thing.
I had the same vibration everyone is having in the stering wheel. The fix was to pack w/grease. I asked what happens when that fails, they said bring it back. It did & I did and they now have a new fix, as in another thread. I asked about tranny lines and was told they will honor any problems if they develop. Now @ 30K, no problems and my dealer has always been great.
They are a true truck center & service full size rigs (80,000#) & RV's.
Anyone having this tranny line issue I would recomend looking up a new service center.