PDA

View Full Version : Keeping fuel flow

Artworks
01-31-2008, 06:23
In a previous thread 'JUST QUIT', I stated my truck quit and found out the 'sock' was plugged with ice. I think it was a combination of things: 1) New low sulphur fuel, 2)Bulk tank at the key lock ??? 3)Heated garage where I park truck.
I try to min. water problem by: 1) Flling tank before it gets below 1/2,usuall fill about 40L 2) adding PS white at fill up, 100ml. 3) Use same local keylock ???. Any one out there have Ideas or a cold weather plan that they use tosop I NEVER have this problem again? Temp has warmed up today, only -21C plus the wind chill = -35C !!!!!

Hubert
02-01-2008, 07:06
Well sounds like it was a fairly big slug of water at fill up (but at those temps I don't know how icicles pumped through fuel nozzle)? . I had water contamination once and no realistic fool proof way to prevent it.

I like the idea of a hi quality course fuel filter water seperator before lift pump and steady use of fuel additive that works with water seperators (demulsifier? the one that doesn't allow water to stay suspended in fuel) and keeping tank topped up. I am not sure just how much water gets seperated with OE fuel manager especially using an additive that helps water stay suspended in fuel. BUT here again if it was a bad batch of fuel I don't think anything is going to save you.

JohnC
02-01-2008, 09:59
The key is to keep the water out of the tank. If you're fueling from an underground tank, the water can be liquid and should get trapped in the separator on the pump. If it's an above ground tank the water should already be frozen and shouldn't get in at all. The problem is when the water enters the tank in liquid form and then freezes. This is exaserbated by storing the truck indoors at temperatures above freezing, allowing the ice to melt and move farther into the fuel system before it re-freezes.