PDA

View Full Version : Tranny leaking at rear of bellhousing

markelectric
01-30-2008, 20:31
I have a 2001 D/A CC 4x4 with about 190,000 miles. I noticed a rather large puddle of tranny fluid on the driveway after a 10 min conversation with a friend (engine running, in park). Further inspection shows this to be dripping out of thr rear portion of the bellhousing. The wet frame members make me believe it is doing it while driving.

Any thoughts or previous experiences?

Thanks

77TransAm
01-30-2008, 21:32
By "rear of the bellhousing," do you mean the split line where the converter housing is bolted to the main body of the trans, or do you just mean several inches back from the engine?

If you can give a more specific description of where the leak originates, we can give you better a better idea.

DmaxMaverick
01-30-2008, 23:15
There is a bulletin for 01/02. Some of the pump housing cover bolt washers leak. The fix is to R/R the washers and retorque the housing bolts. The pump housing cover is the front end of the tranny, where the input shaft enters. Could be referred to the rear of the bell housing area. IIRC, Lil' Red had this, and Jim documented it with some pics. I'll look for it, and if I find it, I'll reply with the link. It's been a while. I'll check for the bulletin, too.

markelectric
01-31-2008, 04:43
The steady drip is at near the seam at the face of the tranny, tail of the converter housing. The article would be a big help. I hope that is all that is wrong as it shifts great by the seat of the pants feel. I recently bought this and would hate to park it waiting on the money for the repair bill.......

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
01-31-2008, 11:57
I didn't find the thread/article, but I did find the bulletin. Nothing wrong with starting a new thread, anyway.

The bulletin is # 03-07-30-057 "A/T - Allison 1000, Fluid Leak from Pump Area", 2001-2003 Allison 1000 A/T.

The remedy is to replace the copper washers at the two lower pump housing bolts (the two bolts at either side of 6 o'clock, just above the lowest part of the tranny front). GM part # 10139097 (listed as a gasket, GM list price is 78ยข ea.). Once installed, torque the bolts to 42 lb/ft. It wouldn't hurt to check the torque of the remaining bolts while you are there, although they others won't cause a leak. The replacement does require removing the tranny from the engine, and torque converter from the tranny. The torque converter to flexplate bolt torque is 44 lb/ft, and the inspection cover bolts are 89 lb/in. Converter housing to engine (front support, actually) bolt torque is 32 lb/ft. The flexplate to crank bolts are TTY (Torque To Yield, bolts are NOT reusable), so don't mess with them unless they are loose. More on that, if you need it.

There is also a possibility of a leak if the torque converter to flexplate bolts are loose. There should also be a clanging noise or rattle with this. The only remedy listed is to replace the torque converter and torque converter bolts. The flexplate needs replacement if it's damaged, as well. More on that, if you need it.