PDA

View Full Version : Lift Pump

kaylabryn
01-29-2008, 08:29
I have a 95 and the lift pump works great when the engine is running, but when I start it in the morning the pump does not run until it starts. Is this normal for the 95 or is the pump supposed to run before starting? I have read other posts where people have said it is supposed to run but that maybe for the 97 up versions where the ECM controls the pump. If it is normal for the pump to not run until oil pressure then would it help cold starts to have the pump run for a little bit prior to starting?

Thanks Mike

94 at Large
01-29-2008, 09:34
Designed so that it does not run until there is oil pressure and reason for OPS so if there is a loss in oil pressure, due to an accident, then the pump automatically shuts down.

DmaxMaverick
01-29-2008, 09:58
On your 95, the pump should run any time the key is in the "start" position. You can check it (unique to the 95) by putting the gear selector (engine off, E-brake applied) in any gear other than P or N, and turn the key to start. The engine should not crank, but the pump should run. If the pump works when the engine is running, the OPS is doing its job. When you crank your engine to start, the pump supplies fuel while cranking, then will continue to run once the oil pressure comes up after start.

kaylabryn
01-29-2008, 16:17
Good to know about the start position, I will check proper operation in that position tonight.

Thanks Mike