PDA

View Full Version : i searched every where!!!

Jody Jack
01-28-2008, 23:31
i swear i checked every wire under the hood!!!!!! i am haveing over charge problem on both 12v 24v alt's and burning up the light/heater/ trany/ and something else fuse's fast they get so hot they melt!!!!! i cant find any short!!!!!!! BLAHHHHH!!! any ideas what wire's could be the short and ill just replace them or where to look im basicly stumped now

Rytari
01-29-2008, 01:31
you might have broken, corroded or otherways bad cable, connection could be bad also, you just cannot see those things by eyes...

i had once starter cable that looked ok, but were cut inside the cable cover, i got 12v to the end on the cable, but no any amps when trying to start...

Peter J. Bierman
01-29-2008, 14:16
On the typical militairy truck with two generators, the generators are in series, meaning that the first wil feed the second.
If the first generators regulator is broke and the output is like 18 volts, the second will ad his 12 and you have 30 on your 24 V circuit and 18 on the 12 V circuit.:confused:

The second generator is isolated and "grounded" by the 12 V output from the first.

Messure the out put on both generators to ground and see what you get, probably high on the first.

Good luck, Peter

ccatlett1984
01-29-2008, 21:34
first, they are alternators (there is a difference)

second if the first alternator is overcharging it will put out fewer amps, since volts varies with an inverse proportion amps. if you double the volts you halve the amps, and visaversa.

if your melting all your 12v stuff, first please make sure that you have correct voltage with the truck off at the small distribution block on the drivers side of the firewall. it should be ~12.5 volts with the truck off.

the 12v source for the whole truck feeds off of the cable that attaches to that small distribution block and is connected to the negative pole of the rear battery (thus it has 12v from the front battery, since they are wired in series)

ccatlett1984
01-29-2008, 21:37
please state what model cucv you have?

also state if you do have the standard two alternators under the hood, or the single large Leece alternator.