PDA

View Full Version : Timing & white smoke

1bad383
01-27-2008, 17:57
I would like to start off with thanking everybody that has given me a hand in getting my beast fired off. Finally drove it for the first time since last May!!! Since then it has a 'new' Avant engine, brand spanking new Bosh injectors & a Heath chip.

Is there a timing for idiots guide that I can use to get this thing right? I've searched, but found nothing on this issue.

The truck does not seem to respond with an injector pump move, white smoke wise. (unburnt Diesel) It does make less or more noise though. It is currently aligned with the 'Barb" on the timnig cover and the sharp edge of the pump. Tried the pump slightly cocked to the drivers side, no luck. All sensors and wires are hooked up according to the pictures taken prior to removing my OLD engine, the pump is pretty much in the same spot. Why is it smoking like a wore out frieght train? Does the computer need to relearn TDCO, and if so how can I do it. Between my self and my friend helping me, we can do and fix anything. He has acess to scan tools at a high end shop in town.

Don't want to think about this but, low compression leads to white smoke....... It is a new engine though.. Also have a Code 94, number 4 imbalance?!!?

a5150nut
01-27-2008, 21:55
Have you got all the air out of #4 injector? And how much white smoke are you talking about?

moondoggie
01-28-2008, 11:48
Good Day!

Have you gotten it fully warmed up? If not, I'd drive it around until it gets to full operating temp & see if the #4 issue goes away. Then, get the TDCO set where you want it, which of course gets the timing right.

I know this sounds redundant, but I once talked to a guy about similar symptoms for quite some time, then found out he'd never done more than idle it for a few minutes. All his symptoms went away after one warm-up drive. I doubt this is your situation, but still figured it was worth mentioning.

Blessings!

1bad383
01-28-2008, 17:45
I have put around 50 ish miles on her so far, still the same issue. Come to find out that the computer assumes that the timing is correct, regardless of pump setting. I have not ruled out air in the system yet, but have pushed enough fuel through it that it should have 'fixed' itself by now. Need to put the clear line on the return to see what comes out of there. Have enough smoke that cars do not come near me at a stop light. Not a bad thing in the big scheme i guess:)
Should be going to try to get it timed tomorrow, do I need to unplug the batterys to erase the computer before we start? Never had to do this before, usually just a simple twist of the distrubtor and off to the races. This diesel stuff is not always easy!!