PDA

View Full Version : Proper Gauge Operation

Jochen Woern
01-26-2008, 00:50
Today my Autometer "Sport Comp" Gauges were installed by KEN IMLER DIESEL PERFORMANCE in Sacramento and they look/operate awesome.

I was informed to run the following temperatures/numbers:

- BOOST: Anywhere from 6-8 psi STOCK, no more then 12 psi when chipped.

- EGT/PYRO: 1100 degrees, 1200 would be ok but to try to run no more than 1100.

- TRANNY TEMP.: Max. to be 230 degrees.

Here some more question now:
- In case I would run hotter than 1200 degrees on the EGT or 230 degrees on the Tranny Temp., what do you do?

Are there any driving tips (down shiffting, backing off the throttle, etc.) to help reduce the temperatures or is it best just to pull of the road letting the truck cool down?

Thanks in advance.

DmaxMaverick
01-26-2008, 00:59
Good advice on the temps, as long as the pyro is pre turbo. Post turbo will be ~300° less.

If you get up to the max temps, it's best to let off the skinny pedal a bit (let it downshift if necessary) and keep the air flowing until the temps become reasonable. If it doesn't work, pull off and hold the RPM's between idle and about 1000 (you should hear the fan roar at 1000). If temps continue to climb as you pull off, shut 'er down (after you stop)....something's wrong. The EGT's will track your pedal input pretty closely. Tranny temp will take some time to catch up, much slower than coolant temp.

rustyk
01-28-2008, 22:37
Amen, Bro'. A universal solution is to back off... :D