PDA

View Full Version : banks turbo

brian wafer
01-25-2008, 19:07
hi i am new too this forum,i have just got a second hand banks turbo kit for my 1984 jimmy.it has a 1993 599 block with 100,000 miles,got dsg timing gears,girdel,and head studs.been checking out the parts ,i find there is alot off side play on turbo ,wondering if this is normal, or should it be rebuilt.thanks for any comments:confused:

john8662
01-26-2008, 08:06
Depends on what "a lot" of sideplay translates to.

If you can rock the compresor wheel and it touches the compressor housing, it's got too much play.

Some is indeed normal though, especially for a T04B cartridge.

brian wafer
01-26-2008, 16:18
it dosn,t touch the turbo wall, don,t know how i could measure the side play . spins ok by hand dosn,t feel rough or anything.i would have too check the model can,t remember number.

ccatlett1984
01-27-2008, 02:04
take it to a local heavy diesel shop, they can tell you if it needs a rebuild or not. front to back play (lack of) is more important than side to side (as long as it doesnt touch the walls) since under oil pressure the turbine will self-center.

Robyn
01-27-2008, 07:40
Now, side play can mean different things to different folks.
We should get this in perspective.
Radial play is clearance across the diameter of the compressor wheel.
This would be looking into the turbo you can lift the wheel up and down or back and forth on the x and y axis.

End play is shoving the turbo wheel in and out by grasping the nut and pulling and pushing.

End play should be almost nonexistant.
Radial play can be several thousandths of an inch.
These turbos use a bronze bushing for the shaft to run it and the turbo is fed oil pressure off the main engine feed. This oil pressure feeds to the bushing and fills the clearance in the bushing and then the oil runs out the bottom and back to the crankcase.

You need to remember the turbo operates under some very high temps right next door to the bushing. The exhaust is very hot and this will cause some expansion in things.

If the radial clearance is not excessive and there is no indications that the compressor or the turbine have been touching the housing then the little beast is probably fine.

These things do not run reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel tight. Even a brand new one will have some wobble in the wheels when wiggled by hand.
End play is the killer, if you find more than just a tiny bit of end play then the unit may have issues.

I have had these little critters apart and they are a real no brainer. There very few parts inside one, The turbine, compressor, shaft, 2 little ring seals and the nut that holds the compressor wheel on.
The cast iron turbine housing and the aluminum compressor housing.
As long as the compressor wheel is not dinged up or has been chewing the housing and the same for the turbine these things can run for a very long time.

The unit on my 94 6.5TD has 260K on it now. I pulled it apart during the time I did the engine overhaul and cleaned it well and looked it over.

Lots of carbon fouling that needed cleaning but the shaft and the bushing looked great.

The seals are a little piston ring type unit with interlocking ends that fits in grooves in the shaft. The ring then sits in a little recess in the housing to keep oil from exiting the bushing except out the drains.
The bushing has a flange on both sides to control end play and also the bushing has oil holes around its circumference to allow oil to flow into and out of the bushing and then out the lower cavity and back to the engine sump.

Hope this helps

Robyn

brian wafer
01-27-2008, 19:45
hi thanks for reply,the side play is normal than! it dosn,t touch wall and impellers are nice . i am planning on doing a little of towing this summer for the holidays,this is why i got the turbo kit . have bought the 2 books on 6.2 and was pleased with what i read especialy with mr Eldridge artical on towing with the 6.2l diesel.now i have another problem i kind of went too fast on my first post ,i got the 1993 599 motor from salvage yard .it was sitting in my shop for 3 weeks, seen the truck it came out off very clean for year and considering all the salt we get on our winter roads small front damage,1ooooomiles though i had got lucky !this weekend started taking motor apart, because all parts were in. got injectors and pomp off to get rebuilt,timing cover to install gear drive, exhaust manifold off tap all holes and started cleaning and preparing block wanted to paint. decided too take pan off for girdel, and found 1 &?%$ crack! should off took it off first,was so sure engine was good. can it be welded! second main from front ,my original 6.2motor is still running but low compression, its probably crack too has 210,000 miles don,t like 2 piece oil seal. salvage yard should refund me but ,been looking for a second hand motor for 2 months and didn,t find anything good.only drive about 5000miles a year figured a second hand would last for a few years . what do rebuilders with crack cores, all junk! sorry for long post thanks.

DieselCrawler
02-01-2008, 13:11
Brian,

I put a turbo on my K-30 a few years ago, maybe 3 year? I found sevral cracked main webs when I had the oil pan off, said screw it, put the turbo on, and have put 30K miles on it since... if you're doin' a complete rebuild, yeah, worry about a crack free block... but it's gonna hold up for a while even if it's got a few cracks... I'm sure not easy on mine, I've worked it hard... smokes a little more now, burning a little oil here lately.

I can afford to be a risky with this, I've got a few extra motors sittin' around to swap in if the dang thing dies tomorrow... supose I should check them for cracks as well, I never have. One is on a stand, heard it run before I bought it with about 89K on it, the other is in a running truck... 2 other parts motors in the back, just need to lift 'em up, and pull the oil pans off to check them...

Good luck...