PDA

View Full Version : FSD Replacement?

More Power
08-16-2004, 12:10
I received the following email message and a PDF a short while ago concerning a possible replacement (non-Stanadyne) FSD module. I thought you guys might like to know more. What is shown here is all I presently know about it. MP

----------------------------------------

Dear Sir

Please find attached a newsletter on an alternative electronic module for energizing the solemoid controlling the fuel by-pass poppet valve on Stanadyne fuel pumps. I have been using one for over 6 months and about 18,000 miles with no problems with starting or engine performance.
The module has a patent pending on novel ways of ensuring valve closure and release.

If you have any questions please contact me.

Best Regards
Andrew Mills

http://www.thedieselpage.com/images/fsdreplacement01.jpg
http://www.thedieselpage.com/images/fsdreplacement02.jpg

MEdlin
08-16-2004, 12:23
Very interesting... Go figure, I just replaced my FSD yesterday! :rolleyes:

Marty Lau
08-16-2004, 15:30
This very interesting looks like someone beat Beta too it. Speaking of Beta where has he been he has not been around much at all. Wasn't he going to release a FSD replacement?

Barry Nave
08-17-2004, 03:22
:rolleyes: So BETA COOLER are over sized :confused:

gmctd
08-17-2004, 05:06
I have been running a 'pre-failed' Stanadyne FSD\PMD on the inj pump for 36mos and 40000mi with no starting or engine performance problems.

This appears to be about the size of a Stanadyne FSD\PMD in a potted module with integral finned heat sink.
Be a good idea to do some hands-on before committing, imho.

[ 08-17-2004, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

autocrosser
08-17-2004, 08:27
The warranty on them is only for 1 year. I emailed them to find out. When I got the reply I suggested that they should warranty it for a lot longer maybe even 5 years if they feel it is a so much better than the Stanadyne that they can charge the big price for it.

Before most folks would put out the amount they want for it I think it will have to be proven which will take a long time. Most PMD's last a pretty good while. Mine went a little over 8 years and the pump was just replaced under warranty.

autocrosser
08-18-2004, 07:28
They are now offering a 5 year warranty after my email. Now they need to become a Diesel Page advertiser.

Turbine Doc
08-18-2004, 07:52
Is it me or does that look like a std FSD sandwiched between some heat sink fins and a flat mounting plate clamped to the intake, anybody talk to these folks and find out what the "new & improved" concept is? My 2nd FSD just died after being remote mounted 44K on a DSG cooler plate.

Marty Lau
08-18-2004, 09:34
Originally posted by tbogemirep:
Is it me or does that look like a std FSD sandwiched between some heat sink fins and a flat mounting plate clamped to the intake, anybody talk to these folks and find out what the "new & improved" concept is? My 2nd FSD just died after being remote mounted 44K on a DSG cooler plate. Tim; where did you mount the DSG cooler plate?

Turbine Doc
08-18-2004, 12:44
On drivers side fender where a ww wash tank on a gasser goes, I'm probably going to mount even more remotely now, bumper area probably, or maybe I'll get Bill Heath's kit Howie E seems to be reporting good things with it.

16 Ga just saw in your sig line you have the Heath kit what has been your result thus far

HowieE
08-18-2004, 12:56
I have had 2 FSDs fail while mounted to a BATA heatsink on the intake manifold. If heat is the problem reducing the size of the heatsink and still mounting it on the manifold doesn't seam to be heading in the right direction.
Yes my Heath kit, different Heath than my old Heath kit color TV, is working fine under the bumper and never sees air above the outside temperature.

autocrosser
08-18-2004, 13:42
Heath is now using a high tech epoxy heat transfer adhesive to attach his PMD to the heat sink. I believe he said that he mills the bottom of the PMD to get a flat surface and then applies the epoxy heatsink material. The heatsink has to be milled or sanded as the surface has a coating on it to work with the heat transfer pad. Here's a couple of links to alternative materials to apply to the PMD, some of them require a very flat surface with no spaces between the item and the heatsink. I found info on the pads somewhere but can't find it now.

http://www.hardwareseeker.com/categories/240.htmlating

http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Fans-Grease.htm

gmctd
08-18-2004, 16:33
The hard anodized surface protects against oxidation, is an excellent electrical insulator, but is also an excellent heat insulator - meaning it does not transfer any thermal property.

Most oem mfng requiring high thermal transfer mill the anodized area down to raw aluminum, with a low micron surface finish.

Thermal transfer pads or jels do not reduce insulating properties of anodization.

Mill it or chill it.

morgan
08-20-2004, 11:57
Excuse me, but doesn't that look like the SAME OLD FSD with a few pieces of aluminum bonded to it?

The 5 yr. warrantee is good news, but it looks like the automotive equivalent of "vegetable soup" offered every Friday in your old school cafeteria..."hey, this looks like a combination of the stuff we've been choking down all week!"

I was hoping for something that looked remarkably different. I hope somebody will get one and surprise me. How could you give one a "torture test" to see if it's actually any better.