PDA

View Full Version : What brand of filter plugs easiest when cold?

Mark Rinker
01-25-2008, 01:42
Lately we have had a cold snap that left alot of Duramax owners limped and replacing plugged filters. This unscientific poll is to see if one brand of filter plugs more often than others. Please list:

Brand and Part#
Miles on that filter
TemperatureAlso if you breezed through negative temps without issue, please list:

Brand and Part#
Fuel type (#2, #1, artic blend) and treatments (if any)
Temperature

Mark Rinker
01-25-2008, 01:44
Racor PFF5544 - dual pleat 'AquaBloc'
Over 15K miles (Kodiak)

Racor PFF5544 - dual pleat 'AquaBloc'
Under 5K miles (K3500)

JohnC
01-25-2008, 09:25
I've only had 2 filters so far. The first was an '06 OEM and gave trouble the first winter that there was ULSD fuel. Mileage was about 9K. The second one is a Baldwin and has about 6K on it. No issues yet. Is it the filter or the fuel? Got me...

DieselMonk
01-25-2008, 12:02
Hmm... I still got the original filter on my D-Max and got 16.000kms on the truck and 30 something % left on the meter. Never had trouble so far. :D Around my area we change filters when the alarm goes off (and that is at around 20.000km). Not one of my friends that have D-Maxes had to change a clogged / waxed filter yet. Gotta be quality of fuel...

mcguyver
01-27-2008, 02:45
I have had baldwin ,wix,gel up so far

Rabbler
01-27-2008, 13:30
Might want to include if they is any Bio added to the fuel.
I haven't seen it myself but have heard from a few buddies at GM dealers that they are having issues in Canada and the northern US with OEM's plugging due to the BIO blends in some fuels.

Freightliner3
01-27-2008, 14:10
Last week south of Baudete Mn.
-29F Both front covers on!
60/40 blend of Diesel Fuel
1oz.per gal Power Service conditioner.

AC Delco Filter,bought from Chevrolet dealer.9000 miles on filter.
Don't know if I had any Bio Blend (I was too cold to ask) ,but I believe it is mandated in Minnesota.

I understand we are running 2 micron filters.If so that must have an added effect on plugging also.I called Chevrolet and they could not tell me what micron size their filter is rated at.So I'm switching to Napa Gold Fuel Filters.

Runaway_Dmax
01-28-2008, 19:47
Umm, maybe something has changed, but I thought all fuel filters were made by RACOR and the different companies just put their names on them, baldwin, wix, napa, etc... The new fuel filter design (dual pleat)is 2 micron. MN is mandated @2% bio-diesel.

No problems with my Dmax, it still has original filter @ under 3000 miles on clock.

My Jetta TDI has 25K on the filter and is due @ my next oil change.

Someone posted about fuel quality as a bigger issue than filter, which I agree. But should be an interesting unscientific poll.

Mark - where is your shop in Elk River, I travel thru the area quite regularly.

Mark Rinker
01-28-2008, 20:04
No shop, unfortunately. :)

Call me if you are passing by - I am in the book!

huntervangolf
01-30-2008, 09:10
I have tried Wix, Napa Gold, and Factory GM. All the same results. Since it has gotten cold I have probably spent close to $200 on my LLY in filters. And $250 at the dealership to tell me there is nothing wrong with my truck:mad:.

lb7lbz
01-30-2008, 11:13
both my 01 and 06 run napa filters. the 06 clogged with 17000 miles on the filter, and the dic said it had 6% life left.my 01 has never clogged and i change it at 15000 miles.i have to agree that fuel source has a huge effect on filter life. my advice is to find a station with good fuel and try to stick with them.i know this isnt always an option when on the road,but for those of you that use your trucks locally thats what i would do. also i wouldnt be fueling up if i saw the tanker truck filling the tanks,it is proven this stirs crud up from the bottom of holding tanks. just my 2 cents

carco
02-02-2008, 12:04
I believe there are too many variables to the question. For instance, fuel quality cleanness, bio fuel noted to clean out dirty tanks, #1 vs #2 fuel more particles in #2, tank conditions from where the fuel is pumped old or new tanks, commercial or private tanks, filtered or not from these tanks. The Dmax filters are pretty much the same regardless of brand name, but if one is different it may have more or less filter media and/or finer filtering. Also ambient temperatures may effect when a filter is deemed plugged. The colder temps may allow for gelling of fuel plugging the filter. The more dirt the filter contains may affect the amount of gelling the filter can handle before plugging occurs. Just a few. Just my 2cents. bob..........

Mark Rinker
02-02-2008, 12:51
Huntervangolf - I personally don't think there is anything wrong with your truck at all. -15 that we saw last week is outside of normal operating ranges and you have to become an active participant in the process of keeping your truck on the road. Its the fuel, not the truck. Call Exxon, not GM!

If you pull into a dealership for help with fuel/filter issues, its your choice. You are then guaranteed that they will sell you a new filter (needed or not) and charge you at least 1/2 hour shop time to install it. Here is how to avoid uneccessary expenses, now that you are 'in the know'...

Pretreat all fuel in advance of the cold snap, making sure truck is run long enough to have that fuel through the entire system
Park inside, or try to get out of the wind to preserve engine heat longer
Plug in the truck
Run your winter frontIf you problem has been limps with SES light set, but truck is still running smoothly, but limited to 2K RPM, you probably just need better fuel - not a new filter. You can sometimes drive through the limp when underhood temps get warm enough to thaw out the filter. Also, having a programmer, TechII, or similar to check and reset the low fuel rail pressure code can speed up the process.

Good luck.

huntervangolf
02-04-2008, 08:20
I understand that negative temps require additional prevention. I plug my truck in every night and have been running winter blend. Also have been putting different treatments in the fuel (have been staying with PS white bottle lately). And was changing filter often but have given up on that.

The two things that are bothering me is the truck has not acted like this in past winters, with much less prevention. And it seems that this is pretty wide spread with the Dmax. I understand this is more than likely ULSD / bio fuel related. But it is going to require something to correct it (different filters, better fuel heaters, something). And this is a significant issue at least in my truck, as in very hard jerking / shuddering, surging, and knocking. Although I do not get any warning / lights on the dash or limp mode. Now that we have been in the 20s it has been running great:rolleyes:.

Kennedy
02-04-2008, 08:38
How would a guy even begin to draw any conclusions over which filter plugs easiest? Variables like temp, fuel quality, brand, and blend (on the petro side) and bio useage make it about impossible to draw a valid comparison.

Mark Rinker
02-04-2008, 17:50
I think thats what our very un-scientific poll has proven.

2500HDTalley
02-16-2008, 19:29
I have tried Wix, Napa Gold, and Factory GM. All the same results. Since it has gotten cold I have probably spent close to $200 on my LLY in filters. And $250 at the dealership to tell me there is nothing wrong with my truck:mad:.
I've used AMSOIL Cold Flow additive for 2 winters with absolutely no problems with plugging. Admittedly it's not so cold here in Oklahoma, but the company makes and tests the stuff in Wisconsin, so they should have an idea on what they're doing.

redbird2
02-16-2008, 23:16
had wix with 1800 miles -4 on it was out of the fleetgard I normally run has got warmer 5-15 overnight only by fuel a 2 places both truck stops unless out of normal service area the first time when took off first fleetgard with 24000 on it I had to buy a some station I never bought at before so could have been the fuel.

ToddMeister
02-18-2008, 10:32
I've been using the Racor fuel filters with no issues.

Saturday morning was -22F and truck started right up and no driveability issues.

Using 100% petro diesel AFAIK.

2005 GMC LLY

Black95TD
02-24-2008, 09:41
This is the third winter on my LLY. Home is Connecticut but the truck is frequently up in the Adirondacks. Its never been garaged or plugged in and its always started right up with no issues using stock AC filters and premium diesel fuel from a reputable source. Never used additives for anti-gel either. Its been well below 0 degrees many times. IMHO its a fuel quality issue.

As a side note, when I change filters which I have done 4 or five times at this point, I always pour out the contents and look for particles, water etc. and rarely find much if anything. The dealer I use is always a few cents higher than everyone else but I can't afford to be stuck at night in the back woods where there is no cell phone service so I pay the price. So far so good on this issue. Did have some significant issues with my old 95 when I was shopping for price.