PDA

View Full Version : Auto or Manual

87TurboT
01-24-2008, 22:14
I will be in the market for another truck soon. I have found a 94 dually 5 speed near me. Does the manual tow better than the automatic?

Hubert
01-25-2008, 06:57
I'd say manual for the 5.9, longer stroke, and stronger engines but not so much an advantage on the 6.5. Stock I think the auto probably tows better overall I am guessing an auto will hold cruise a bit easier on rolling hills. GM seems to make really good automatics and not so good clutch systems. With Mods I don't know. When working it hard the 6.5 likes to stay in its rpm comfort zone (depends on mods) but around 1800-2200 rpm. With a manual you can stay there with a bit more control independant of throttle position. I guess that and compression braking are the only two real pro's to the debate for older trucks.
I'd say its mainly driver preference, driving style, and depends on roadways. I wish GM would offer better manual options.

93_Burrito
01-25-2008, 09:42
My only real gripe with the 5-speed is the "wide" gap between 3rd and 4th gear. 6-speed manuals have this issue licked...

I had a 1999 K2500 6.5L TD with the 5-speed manual, and now I own a 2000 K2500 6.5L TD with the 4-speed auto. The 2000 is my first pickup with an automatic, and I just don't have the confidence in it like I did with the manual. And for me, the '99 got much better fuel mileage. Both trucks have 3.73 gears.

'94 trucks came from the factory with a dual-mass (2-piece) flywheel. If the clutch was replaced at some point, chances are the flywheel was switched to a solid design. The solid design is cheaper and generally lasts longer than its DMF counterpart.

The issue people come across with the solid flywheel is the clutch disc. The center section (hub) usually fails well before the friction material wears out. I would look to an aftermarket clutch to get avoid this issue.

I favor the 5-speed manual. The auto's torque converter is another source of heat the engine would have to deal with... And with a manual, you get more power to the rear wheels.