PDA

View Full Version : $600 to repair 4-way flasher switch???

Mark Rinker
01-23-2008, 15:53
The 2002 is in at the GM dealer for a new OEM alternator, OEM rear pinion seal, and probably the second (this time OEM) NSBU switch in a month, since things haven't been right since the NAPA 'black' part went in - to replace the 'brown' one from gawd-knows-where that went in only one year ago...(when come to think of it a new pinion seal was installed as well probably from the same aftermarket parts house...) No joke, the service advisor said they now have a 'white' one...LOL

<begin rant> Does anyone else wonder if the aftermarket parts suppliers and secondary repair shops are becoming a thing of the past, due to inferior, foreign made products? I used to stay away from the dealerships, but now pay the higher prices to get things fixed RIGHT the FIRST time - or at least have better recourse if they don't <end rant>

However, the GM service advisor apologetically tells me that to fix my broken flasher switch on the top of the column requires replacement of the turn signal / high low beam cluster to the tune of $600. :eek: I told him to hold off...

Anyone else dealt with this? Any cheaper way around it? We really need flashers to work in our delivery business, they get used daily and are imperitive if broken down next to the road with goods for hire on the trailer...

DmaxMaverick
01-23-2008, 16:27
Just disgusting. Did they hold a gun on you?

Get the part from somewhere else (like www.gmpartsdirect.com for $216, list is $400, search for "signal" in their catalog). Install it yourself or have them do it for the labor only. It's an OEM part, so they won't have anything to complain about, and they'll have to warranty it if it fails.

Mark Rinker
01-23-2008, 17:19
Thanks for the idea...how hard is it to get the column apart?

I need a heated shop and a mechanic/driver.

DmaxMaverick
01-23-2008, 20:53
The column isn't too bad if you've done a 95+ (they're similar). The airbag and steering wheel comes off, then the upper trim. I can do it in about 30 minutes. You will need a steering wheel puller and standard tools, including a torx bit set. Use some anti-seize on the steering wheel spline on reassembly (thank me later if you have to do it again). The most time consuming part is fishing the harness down the column (hint: pull a string or wire out with the old one, and use it to pull the new one in). Not bad, just takes some time.

trbankii
01-24-2008, 14:35
I've been using www.rockauto.com (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/www.rockauto.com) since someone on here mentioned it awhile back. At first I compared prices with other sources - local and online. Now I don't even bother because RockAuto always had them beat.

DmaxMaverick
01-24-2008, 17:13
Rockauto is an excellent supplier. Problem is, the less expensive parts won't be OEM. No better than Napa, Autozone, etc. Sounds like Mark was insisting on GM OEM, if I read him correctly.

trbankii
01-24-2008, 20:05
RockAuto does list ACDelco parts options for the alternator and NSBU and Timken for the pinion seal. The flasher switch does not seem to be listed, though.

Mark Rinker
01-25-2008, 18:55
GM part has solved the problem - for now anyway. I'll be returning the defective NAPA part.

madmatt
01-28-2008, 04:05
If you really want to be noticed get some Reacon Strobes. I use them in my work truck since I'm on highway job sites so much and pulling in and out of high speed traffic is such a joy! They're super bright and will never go unnoticed. It's amazing how much people slow down when they see a strobe verus 4 way flashers. THe kit cost me $300 and install was pretty easy.