PDA

View Full Version : Out of Fuel Priming

jpndave
01-21-2008, 13:02
So, I have been extremely careful not to ever run my truck out of fuel as I have heard that it is EXTREMELY difficult to get them started again. Last weekend, some dirtbag siphoned all the fuel out of my truck and I made the mistake of starting it before I realized it was out. I went into the house while the truck warmed up and it ran completely dry. I have put fuel in it and tried to start it after using the hand priming pump to no avail. It will fire with starting fluid but not on it's own. I have fuel coming out of the threaded port next to the pump. I pulled the fitting on injector #1 and fuel will come out of that fitting when cranked but still the truck will not fire. It was very cold outside but I have towed the truck to my heated garage so temp shouldn't be an issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any links to a thread discussing it or another site? I'm not quite where to go with it from here.

2001 Duramax/allison 2500HD

Thanks,

Dave

DmaxMaverick
01-21-2008, 13:22
Welcome to the Forums! Hope you got here in time....

First off, NEVER use starting fluid on a glow plug equipped Diesel, except in a do or die emergency!!! Because you did, I suggest you pull all the glow plugs and confirm none were damaged, or left pieces in the cylinders. If they appear intact and have continuity, they'll be OK. It is also a very bad idea to loosen the fuel injector lines. Having fuel there is not telling you much. And, keep in mind, the fuel system will produce up to 5,000 PSI at start. The injector won't even actuate if the rail pressure doesn't reach a minimum of about 4K PSI.

The fuel system is not self priming. Opening the bleeder and pumping fuel out of it just primes the filter. You need to close the bleeder and pump it up until it is very hard to pump (can be a lot of pumps, like 50+). It should start fine then, after a little longer crank time.

jpndave
01-21-2008, 13:31
Thanks for the reply.

So, evidently the starting fluid that says it is for diesel is a load of crap. I should have know better than to trust what the can said.

I did pump on the hand pump until it was very difficult. I'll try that again.

I will also pull and check the glow plugs.

Is there anything else that can be done to prime the system?

DmaxMaverick
01-21-2008, 13:44
Yeah. Can't always believe what you read on a package. Their goal is to sell you the product. If you MUST use starting fluid (ether), be sure to pull the GP power relay in the underhood fuse box (you'll get the SES, but the glow plugs won't get power).

The only other thing you can do is remove the filler cap. If it isn't venting properly, it could be causing too much vacuum at the tank. If it has had any moisture in it, it could have frozen the valve and damaged it. If conditions improve with it removed, replace it (or replace it anyway, it's 7 years old). Pump up the primer until you can't. If it feels spongy, you still have significant air in the system, but pumping with the bleeder closed should purge it.

jpndave
02-08-2008, 18:11
I am still having trouble getting this vehicle started. I pulled the glow plugs and they are ok, the three I pulled will all energize and glow red. The relay for the glow plugs has power into it but it does not power up the glow plug and intake heater leads when the ignition is turned on. The glow plug light does not light up in the dash either. Is there a fuse hidden somewhere in the line? Which lead in is the hot to energize the relay with the igntion?

Thanks,

Dave

More Power
02-09-2008, 12:08
These fuel systems are somewhat designed to handle an out of fuel situation, but it's best not to test it.

You may need to bleed the filter again. That 1/2" line coming from the tank can hold a lot of fuel - or air.

I helped a local a while back, who owned a 2003 LB7, and who ran his truck out of fuel. We poured in 6 gallons of diesel (with the truck sitting on level ground), primed the filter, then cranked in 20 second intervals with a 3 minute starter cool-down period in between. It took 3-4 cranking sessions and another priming to get it running normally. Continuous cranking longer than 20 seconds can shorten the life of the starter - they're not cheap... ;)

Jim