PDA

View Full Version : Got a crash course in diesel additives over the weekend...

WyTTraven
01-21-2008, 06:07
First off I would like to praise this forum! Such a wealth of knowledge here and it seems has though people generally try to help each other. very cool indeed:D. Anyway..back to the story. My 03 GMC 2500 (LB7) was plugged in over the evening during the frigid temps (-11) friday night here in NW Ia. the truck started perfectly. I went to work that morning assuming that since the temp went up somewhat I shouldn't have any trouble firing the ol girl up.. wrong!! My second day owning a diesel and I gelled it up!! it was getting dark and I have other vehicles in the fleet so I just left it plugged in @ work and added about 20 oz of PS 911 to the tank (that stuff is phenomenal btw!). Came back out to work on Sunday expecting to change the filter but I figured I would give it a quick shot just for the he!! of it. She roared to life has if nothing happened. I decided after that little expierence that I needed to put together a little kit for the truck. Spare filter, wrenches, PS 911 and Fppf total power.
On a side note.. I should have bought one of these trucks sooner! So much fun to drive!!

Shed
01-21-2008, 10:57
Welcome to the forums!

I, like you got the same course during my first winter here in central Iowa! I still think you may want to change that filter, just advice that I have had after my incident. I got mine inside and warmed up and she also fired and ran fine all the way to my garage. She got a filter as soon as she got in the door! Not as technical with all this but maybe some of the other people can tell you why a new filter anyway. Shed

Mark Rinker
01-21-2008, 15:50
During cold snaps, any water in the fuel can freeze in the element and restrict flow. We consistantly see this with our trucks - any filter over 10K miles is likely to restrict when it drops into the negatives.

Question: How many miles on your filter? Even if its running right now, I'd replace it, if over 10K miles.

DickWells
01-22-2008, 08:08
:)Mark: Speaking of filters, why do you think that I've NEVER seen any water in my cup when I drain off some fuel from the bottom like you're supposed to? I'm guilty of letting it go for months without thinking about it, too. Spent over two months in the damp cold of Vermont over Nov. and Dec., 07. Still, not a drop of water! I change the filter about every three oil changes.
Do you have any experience with an after-market lift pump and pre-filter for the DM? A speed shop up in Longview. WA didn't even want to talk about it. Said their fuel inj field expert claimed that I could starve the IP by putting in an ox lift pump! This is contrary to my logic, and everything that I've read in here on the subject. Your thoughts?
I too, love the DM. GM sure hit a home run with this one. Wish they hadn't sold off Allison, though.
Dick Wells

Todd T
01-24-2008, 11:32
The problem is the filters are too restrictive. Good for filtering, but bad for cold, or semi-gelled fuel. combine a slightly dirty filter with cold fuel and it cannot keep up.

I still cant believe there is no preheater on the fuel system to help with this very problem. a small heating element prior to the filter substrait would help tremendously. IMO

Rabbler
01-27-2008, 13:34
There is a fuel heater in the top of the fuel filter housing.
I wonder if covering the fuel cooler would help for extreme weather operation...