PDA

View Full Version : 03 went into limp mode

mcguyver
01-20-2008, 23:10
IT is cold here in IL. like -20 wind chill, I was driving last nite and the truck ran out of power and would hardly pull it self ,the engine lite came on and went into limp mode if you gave it more throttle it would shift down and die. I limped it home started it up today and it was fine but the engine lite was on I checked the codes and it was low rail fuel psi so I went ahead and changed fuel fiter and cleared the codes and it seems to be ok, I dont think it was gelling I had PLENTY of antigell in it what else could be the problem also about a week ago when I would get on it, it would knock terriable like a box of bolts was going to fly out of it after about 3 mile it was fine and never happend again but it seems like the valves are getting louder by the month any help would be appreciated thank you Kevin A. also it has 180,000 miles on it , can anyone tell me if there are any recalls that I should know about and how long does gm stand behind the inj. and pump I have owned this truck for a year and it has been the best truck that I have ever owned

DmaxMaverick
01-21-2008, 00:35
Welcome to the Forums!

Sounds like a fuel restriction. Very likely gelling, considering the temp. Even the best anti-gel additives have limits, and some don't work as well as others. Even when they do work, they can't keep the fuel at warm-temp-like viscosity when it gets really cold. A borderline filter and sub freezing temps can result in fuel starvation, even when we do everything we can to prevent it. Which fuel treatment, and how much, did you use? Also, if you use the winter front cover for the truck, it'll help to keep the temp higher under the hood, and minimize cold temp issues. I've heard mention that covering the fuel cooler (little core in front of the tank) helps some. I don't live in ultra-cold climate (hovers around freezing), but I get into places on occasion that get sub-zero. I have to be very careful to not forget to prepare. It's usually the washer fluid that snags me. I also won't go into cold country without a bottle of PS 911. It works as advertised.

For the purpose of fuel temp, the wind chill means nothing. Only the actual temp will effect the fuel. The wind chill factor is only a reference to how cold it feels to animals.

The other issue with the noise could be a number of things. If it's something that comes and goes relatively quickly, it's usually air in the system. Winterized fuel can cause louder than normal engine noises, as does extremely cold air. It's hard to say what it was, without a DTC to start with. One easy thing you can do to help eliminate fuel related issues is ensure your fuel filler cap is venting properly. If in doubt, replace it. They're cheap.

mcguyver
01-21-2008, 01:16
I use enough antigell P.S.911 to treat 50 gal I thought that would be enough and I do use the winter front I will try and cover the fuel cooler I should of done that I thought about that 3 weeks ago when I did a service on it but I forgot about it

DmaxMaverick
01-21-2008, 02:25
911 means 911....Emergency only. I have no idea what it will do if used for normal gel control, but it is not designed for it. My guess is it can't be good if used full strength on a regular basis (too much of a good thing?). PS white bottle is what you need for winter fuel treatment. Other brand names are also good, but I've started -20°F after sitting overnight and the fuel (straight #2) flowed with PS white bottle. It's supposed to protect down to -40° at the right strength (hope I never have to test that). I stay with PS because I have yet to find a Walmart without it. Other brands are not as easy to find. Anyway, I hope that's the extent of your problem, and nothing was damaged.

If you cover the fuel cooler, don't forget to uncover it when it warms up. The fuel is used to cool the EDU (fuel injection driver, and the reason for the cooler). Not a problem at freezing temps, but could cause some electronic overheating above that.

Mark Rinker
01-21-2008, 15:55
I believe what is happening with these filters restricting is not fuel gelling, rather water freezing in the filter element and limiting flow.

mcguyver
01-25-2008, 04:06
still having the same problem changed filter 3 times this week and it still sets low fuel rail psi code I can run it up to about 70 mph if I give it fuel real slow but step into it at all and it falls right on its face I have got fuel at 3 differant places and the temp has been around 10f to -10f all week I have used power service and howes anti jell and still the same thing I might have a pump problem what do you guys think

Mark Rinker
01-25-2008, 08:13
Sounds odd for sure. Is there a heated garage you can get in to, to remove the variable of temp? Also, have you been running a winter front through all these episodes?

If the answers are NO and YES, I'd consider a trip to the dealership and ask them to keep it inside overnight before doing their troubleshooting.

mcguyver
01-25-2008, 13:29
Took truck to the dealer today and the told me to put a gm fiter on it and it will take care of the problem they said the had 20 or so in this week and everyone did the same thing that I have they put gm filter on them and no one has been back yet is what they said I guess it is worth a shot but have to go to differant dealer they are sold out of them I will let you all know if it works

mcguyver
01-26-2008, 10:11
so far so good it's run longer now than it has all week must of worked there must be more microns in a after market filter then a gm filter

Mark Rinker
01-26-2008, 16:58
What brand and part# of filters did you have the problems with? If the filter media is designed to absorb and trap water, rather than separate from the fuel - the media can freeze and restrict flow - even if the fuel in the system is flowing freely. (If you can, fill in the filter information on the related 'sticky' at the top of this forum.)

One of the filters we froze this cold snap was a gen-u-ine GM 'blue' filter. It did have high miles however, just over 15K.

It appears the Racor PFF5544s prone to this, even with LOW miles. Confusing, because my understanding is Racor makes the GM filters. :confused:

Who knows - maybe its all fuel quality...

jbplock
01-27-2008, 04:38
... It appears the Racor PFF5544s prone to this, even with LOW miles. Confusing, because my understanding is Racor makes the GM filters. :confused:...

Mark,

I believe the "new" Blue filters are made by a different OEM .. my guess would be CHAMP (also makes Luberfiner). I have some on the new blue TP1298B's (GM 89060534) on the shelf and the top of filter has a different design compared to the previous white TP1298B's... I haven't cut open a blue one yet but I would expect them to also be a double pleate design.

FWIW, I've been running the white AC Delco (RACOR) TP1298B's with no freeze/Gel problems here in the cold northeast (It's been in the low single digits lately). However, I also have a 30 micron pre-filter (Stanadyne FM100) which may limit susceptibility... also use Stanadyne Performance Formula.

:)