PDA

View Full Version : cherry bomb

Jody Jack
01-20-2008, 10:00
well i ordered 2 glasspack cherry bomb mufflers for my 6.2l cucv pickup what are your ideas on the lieking of useing these on a diesel? i currently have it straght pipe that go's up into a stack right behinde the cab its pretty nice but im looking for the cherry bomb sound to scare some iraqi's( haha) so who thinks i should keep the straight pipe stacks or go cherry bomb underneath or even go cherry bomb stacks??? they are 2 1/2 bombs

john8662
01-21-2008, 09:24
I bet it's pretty loud currently!

The cherry-bomb/glass-pack's will give it that rattle popping noise at higher loaded RPM's.

I've got a set on a 2WD suburban, although it's fixing to go to regular mufflers.

J

Jody Jack
01-21-2008, 09:33
so basicly what your saying it sounds like poo

farmertracks
01-25-2008, 19:18
leave it straight piped. I don't have stacks on mine, but it sounds awesome with 4 inch tips running out to the back corners! I actually get lots of compliments on it.

Peter J. Bierman
01-26-2008, 13:25
Cherry bombs get the rough edges off for a wile but will hold a lot of soot and finaly become strait pipes:D.

For scaring Iraqi's or other people leave the stacks on:cool:

Peter

allformike
01-26-2008, 16:45
are straight pipes load enough to get pulled over, or is it just pretty load, does it sound like a gasser with no meffler

Jody Jack
01-28-2008, 23:24
well im in iraq so there isent any rules on your truck... lol but in the states yea nothen but pipe in any v8 is gonna get you pulled over.. and deffently in a 6.2l

Jody Jack
01-28-2008, 23:27
well what im looking for out of the cheery bombs is well. back home i got 3 modle A ford's choped fram's ect. with cherry's on it and when you let of gas or coast down hill it makes a awesome back fire sound and some times flames haha but that is with a standered moe'gas truck. i dont know if diesal's work like that with a auto tranny

Colorado Kid
01-29-2008, 11:01
Sorry, but when you back off on a diesel you pull out the fuel and still have full airflow, while in a gasser (with a carb) a chopped throttle cuts off almost all the air but still sucks in some gas, resulting in an overrich mixture in the pipes . . . at some point the air from outside the end of the pipe and the rich mixture interface and, with glowing hot glass fibers or carbon embers you get "popcorn". There's no unburned fuel to light off in the exhaust of a diesel on overrun (when the wheels are powering the engine). The way you get sparks and even flames out of a diesels exhaust is to add too much fuel and late timing, so it's still burning when the exhaust port opens. Unfortunately that combination will also cause overheating, valve and port burning, low power and horrible fuel economy. It will also soot your glass packs up in no time.

farmertracks
01-30-2008, 19:27
I have yet to be pulled over for my pickup being too loud. As long as you are smart and watch for cops, you won't ever have a problem. Hot rod it, and you are gonna get in trouble. Mine really isn't that loud until it gets between 1500 to 2000 rpms..............then it pops loud in that range. above or below those rpms, and it is really mellow.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
01-30-2008, 19:52
The 6.5/6.2 are actually surprisingly quite compared to other engines. I have run no exhaust for a few months now. The worst is the cab drone at between 1500-2000 RPM's. But that would be because the pipe ends under the cab.:rolleyes: Don't feel like putting a system on until I am ready for straight stacks. My 1980 Firebird with the 301ci straight piped was a heck of a lot louder. Mind you, it was turning over 6,000 RPM whereas the 395 diesel is turning not much over 3,000 at full throttle. Biggest things to watch for is don't go trying to impress the cops with how much turbo you can hear when you punch it in front of them. If you do a complete exhaust with no muffler, it will be fairly quiet. I have to figure out a way to upload a audio of the 6.5 with no exhaust.

DieselCrawler
01-31-2008, 12:55
I have no muffler on my ol' '84 6.2, but it has a turbo... turns out just infront of the right rear wheel... soon to be stacks. It's loud, but not so bad... love to hear the turbo whistle...

Each state varies, but it's my understanding that if you have a turbo, you can run straight pipe leaglely, at least here in WV. I also have no muffler on my F350 with the 7.3 powerstroke... I drive it daily, for work, and I don't think twice about showing up at a customers house for a service call in it...

However, no turbo, and straght pipe on the ol' 6.2 and you might be asking for a meeting with your local law enforcment person... and if you have state inspections, and emission testing... might be a whole new ball game.

I had glass packs on my 6.2 before I got the turbo... rather mellow, aside from the 1500-2000 rpm range under load... then it was really noisy.

Greg

allformike
02-02-2008, 22:33
this morning a put a flow teck glass pack on, before i welded it i put a piece of flew pipe with no muffler on to see how load it was, it was surpisingly quiet at idle, but when i gave her some petel, it sounded pretty nasty. the glass pack sounds pretty good. it has a nice mellow sound at idle but when you lay the hammer down it sounds pretty good, a little load but thats alright with me.