PDA

View Full Version : I got my injectors off

Jambi
01-19-2008, 22:13
That was fun, an adventure more like it. Found a diesel shop in town and got them bench tested for $40, they pop at 1800 and spray nicely. Also showed me where I bent two fuel return ports on injectors 7 & 8 (What an amatuer I am!). Showed me how I could try and bend them back out.

He also said that if I break them while bending them I could just replace the injector head(?) for about $30. Told me an entire rebuild would run about $190 but didn't think it was at all necessary.

Despite being covered in grease and smelling like diesel fuel, being bumped and bruised, frustrated and irritated at times, I found myself really enjoying this mechanic-type stuff.

any advice on which types of gaskets I should buy? I'm considering removing the intake and fuel lines when I put the injectors back in to make it a bit easier.

Would it be wise to get an injector installation kit with new washers, return lines, etc?

thanks!
Mike

john8662
01-21-2008, 09:28
I'd like to see mid 1900's for pop pressure with excellent spray pattern with no streamers and a good "sound" during popping.

For re-installation you'll need the copper washers, and some good quality antiseeze specifically for high temperature (not the copper stuff).

For the $40 for popping them, they should give you a set of coppers :)