PDA

View Full Version : Need some starter advice

evo rider
01-18-2008, 19:12
Ive been looking on Ebay for a new diesel starter and the ones that are listed fit the 89 and newer years for a 6.2l blazer. The problem is that Ive got an 88 k5. Is the starter application for my blazer the same as the 89-93?:confused:

Robyn
01-18-2008, 19:27
Yours may be the direct drive unit.
The ones on the later rigs are the gear drive. They are interchangable.
I really like the older direct drive starters as they are wound a lot heavier.

Ebay is a gret place but I would not buy a starter there.
I always have a local rebuilder do it.
Unless you know the seller you can buy a lot of issues.

Hope this helps

Robyn

evo rider
01-18-2008, 20:17
Thanks. Its good to hear they are interchangable. I know someone whos got one out of an early 90's 6.2l. This will definitely save a dent in my truck fund

DmaxMaverick
01-18-2008, 21:16
They are interchangeable, but you need the correct front bracket. W/o it, you'll snap bolts, or worse (crack the block or starter head). And, the gear reduction starter falls short of the performance of the direct drive. Unless you have no starting issues now (other than a bad starter), you will be very disappointed. Also, you should be able to have your original rebuilt locally for around $50, and it'll be twice whatever starter you are trying to get now.

allformike
01-19-2008, 07:34
i bought a gear reduction one off ebay a few months ago and have had no problems with it(knock on wood.) but i got it for $75 w/shipping, i got a deal on it, since i bought a lot of stuff from this one seller. and the shop by me said they wanted between $60 and $80 to rebuild my starter. and i tryed to swap mine out at one of the local parts stores, but they were out of business. and my funds didn't allow me to purchase one from autozone.

evo rider
01-19-2008, 07:38
A rebuild will probably be the better option then going with a gear reduction starter, right now its a little cold blooded when it comes to starting at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion Dmax.

Jody Jack
01-19-2008, 09:39
i just recently had to replace my starter and well im in iraq and no rebuilders around.... but after i bought and put in a new starter i found out that a 4-k fork lift starter has the same internal componits as well the truck starter haha.... and well i got ton of 4-k starter's laying around that are new that i could of rebuilt it at armys expence.(hehe). but time for the point i went to this web site http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/ and i was extremly supprised about there bussnis the first starter they sent me broke over the mail cause it was going to iraq. there was no real insureince on it so i called them up and they replaced it for free and no shiping charge this time and let me keep the old core of the first one they sent me. and they deduct core price from you if you mail them your old starter. you can buy rebuilt or new 24v or 12v.

96ccdd
01-19-2008, 19:34
I purchased a starter 2 years ago from http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/ also and have been very pleased. I will most likley use them for my 24v 6.2 starter also.

allformike
01-19-2008, 19:46
that's the same place i got my starter from, i'm very pleased with it. i'm not saying this starter or any other starter is the best, just that my experiance with it is great.