PDA

View Full Version : Water pump and turbocharger.

wolfgang
01-17-2008, 00:48
I picked up a stock 95 Suburban and the water pump has gone bad on me. I've been eyeing the cooling system upgrade, but kinda light on money for a while. But now I have to change the pump anyway. Is there any reason I can't just use a stock 99 pump which is higher flow for now and change out the dual thermostat housing down the road when I get a little more money?

.....and.....

Guy I bought this truck off of butchered the turbocharger. He cut out the wastegate flap inside it and welded in what looks like a frost plug into where the wastegate would close, now I have WAY too much boost. I can get the plug out easy enough, but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells parts for that turbo. Anyone know where I could get replacement wastegate parts outside of buying a used/core.

john8662
01-17-2008, 09:00
For the waterpump, you could sure do it. Check out this article discussing the cooling upgrade and the correct information regarding using the HO pump with single stat.

Dual Thermostats (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/dualstats.htm)

For the turbo, you're going to need to acquire some turbo parts to repair. The model turbo you're referring to (GM-1 - 4) has the wastegate on the turbine housing, not on the elbow. So you found a junk turbo (center section bad - bearings, etc.) you could swap your center section into that turbo and make a good one that way.

Otherwise, I'd recommend finding a replacement turbo.

The situation you're describing is dangerous and will result in a failed head gasket or other situation eventually.

Are you getting codes for overboost?

J

wolfgang
01-19-2008, 12:50
I found a good article discussing different types of thermostats and their functions, helped me to understand what I need along with the article you linked. http://www.are.com.au/feat/techt/thermostat.htm

Yes I am getting engine codes for over boost, especially when I accelerate hard, which really kills my power by starving the engine of fuel. For the moment, I'm driving that truck gently until I can get the turbocharger fixed.

Thanx for response.