PDA

View Full Version : Turbo and Injectors Replacement

HGM
01-13-2008, 19:01
93 6.5L TD has 165,000 with new IP from Heath runs and starts perfect with the new Glow Plugs installed. Turbo has not been touched, leaks a little oil that drips, do you replace with rebuilt or replace seal. How long do injectors last? If needed to replace has any one used the rebuilt Bosch or the new from Stanadyne? thanks, HGM

Warren96
01-14-2008, 09:10
Mine left the factory wet with a drop on the bottom 13 years ago, I thought it was always supposed to be wet. After 2 or 3 thousand miles it does need a quart added, but that never botherd me. How much makeup oil does yours need?

HGM
01-15-2008, 22:09
The oil lose is even less than a quart in 5,000 miles. I guess I'm lucky. Have you any knowledge on how long injectors go? thanks

DmaxMaverick
01-15-2008, 23:27
The oil lose is even less than a quart in 5,000 miles. I guess I'm lucky. Have you any knowledge on how long injectors go? thanks

Less than a qt. in 5K miles? That's less than most that don't leak any oil. Find the leak and deal with it, or not. It could be the drain line seal, or pressure line fitting. If the turbo is leaking oil internally, you won't see it (goes out the exhaust).

Injectors can last anywhere from 100K to...um.....well....some 82's I know of are still running original, and just fine doing it. Typically, they last 120K to 200K. Some earlier, some later. Testing is easy and not too expensive. If you have more than 120K on them, replacement is advised. you can test them, but at least one will likely be less than perfect. You can test a set for about $40, but that's what one new premium will cost. In your case, I'd just get a full set and replace them. 15 years and 165K warrants it.

Robyn
01-16-2008, 09:24
My advice is pretty much just a rerun of what Maverick has stated.

I would take yours to a reputable diesel shop that is known to do good work and have then rebuilt.

Stay away from the ebay sellers, unless you know of their reputation.
Some of the stuff online is good and some is junk.

I only use a local shop that I know well to do pumps and injectors.

The injectors start to lose POP pressure over time and the internals start to gum up and then the things will squirt instead of spray.
This can lead to hard smokey cold starts and poor performance and a lose of Mileage and power.
Another issue can be the risk of piston damage if you have an injector that is dribbling or otherwise not functioning right.

If you have yours rebuilt, ask the tech to set the pop so all of them are as close to equal as possible as this makes a much smoother running engine.

The pop can be set up close to the top of the spec for best results but I personally would avoid (High Pops)
The IP was designed to run at a certain pressure and about all you get with higher POP is more rattle.
As the IP gets time on it the ability to handle higher pressure can fall off.

Good luck

Robyn