PDA

View Full Version : Water Leak Through Radiator Overflow Hose

IronMike
01-11-2008, 09:55
Just started getting a water leak through the radiator overflow tube.
No water loss through exhaust. No white smoke from exhaust. Only get water loss when the engine temp hits 200 degrees.
Never had this problem on any vehicle I've owned.
Motor has 220,00 miles on it. It's a 1995 3500 6.5 Torbo Diesel.
Original owner.
Do all my own work.
Dual thermos, high out water pump.
I wanna keep the truck and fix this problem myself. But I need help on what's causing this water leak and how to fix it.
Appreciate any and all help.
Thanks

DmaxMaverick
01-11-2008, 10:08
If you are certain you don't have a fluid/gas exchange (head gasket, etc, test accordingly), it could be as simple as the pressure cap. They do fail (actually quite often), and are are frequently forgotten as a culprit of cooling system problems. You can test it, but if you don't have the tester, it's cheaper to just replace it. If you are unsure of the health of your cooling system and need to test it, a good system tester will have a cap tester as well. Could be a worthwhile investment.

winemaker
01-11-2008, 11:57
The cap was my problem, at probably the same temp. Long road trip, long uphill grade, halfway up the hill. Topped up the water and drove it easy from there with no issues. Replaced the cap and have done that trip several times since with no issues.

More Power
01-11-2008, 12:51
Engine reman centers sometimes like to insert block sealing cubes into the water jackets of the engines they rebuild, to help prevent call-backs. The cubes would dissolve into the coolant over time. The problem with any sealing compound is that it can also stick the pressure seals in the radiator/surge tank caps.

Jim

IronMike
01-11-2008, 14:38
Thanks to all of you for the trouble of helping me at least have some idea of where to search for an answer to this problem.
I really appreciate it.
I will post my findings when the problem is fixed.
Again, thanks to each of you for reaching out and tapping a few protein plated brain cells of mine on this very troubling problem.
IronMike

rustyk
01-11-2008, 19:16
Mike, I replied to your PM. Hopefully, the issue is a simple head gasket replacement. :cool: