PDA

View Full Version : 500K engine shot!

Rot Box
01-10-2008, 18:13
My brother just picked up a 93 K3500 with a 6.5TD with a manual trans that runs but it just started knocking (sounds like a lifter....) at 500,000K original miles! The truck is in very good shape, and it was free due to the knock.

I think that it needs a new lifter(s), and by the way that it cranks over I'm guessing it's low on compression. I'd hate to dump a bunch of money into an engine with this many miles so we're contemplating a complete overhaul. He said unless it costs less than a few hundred to fix/replace he'll swap the diesel for a 383 SBC gasser that he has. I was wondering what our options are? What would you recommend for a rebuild kit? Crate motor? Or just fix what we've got? Open to any suggestions thanks,

Andrew

btw I'd sure hate to see it with the gas motor!!!

DmaxMaverick
01-10-2008, 19:19
Injectors........unless they are new.

Rot Box
01-10-2008, 19:31
I could see it being the injectors by the way it runs...

I'll probably pull the valve covers for an inspection this weekend, and that would also be a good time to test the injectors as well as do a compression test. I guess if the compressions good than we'll probably just work with what we've got....:)

DmaxMaverick
01-10-2008, 20:06
If the compression is good, has good oil pressure, and isn't mixing fluids/gasses, there's no reason to not expect a lot more miles from it. If the age/miles of the injectors is unknown, don't waste money testing them. Just replace with a good set of remans. I'd also not waste time chasing lifters unless you have more than just an nondescript knock. Worn injectors will cause anything from a faint knock to a noise that sounds like a rod is coming through the block. While you have the valve covers off, replace the nylon rocker buttons.