PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible....?

Stlheadake
01-09-2008, 20:03
I have an 06 model truck with power locks. If I leave my keys in the ignition and lock the doors, they automatically unlock. This is really a good feature for me. I have a history of being in a hurry and leaving my keys in the ignition.

Now enter old man winter. I want to know if it is possible to override this feature so I can hop in my truck drive four blocks to the Walgreens, leave my truck running, lock the doors, and run in and get whatever is going to make momma feel better.

I have a second fob (wife's keys) which I could use or I could just get a key made. So does anyone know if I can I do this?

DmaxMaverick
01-09-2008, 20:16
Lock the door manually, then shut it. Or, lock it with the second fob after the door is closed. Don't complain when you have a dead battery in your second fob, and can't get in. A spare key with the fob would be a better idea. The key doesn't need batteries.

mr. monte
01-10-2008, 06:26
I used to to that in my 04, took the fob off the key ring so I could lock it and leave it run, warning...my dad got a ticket years ago for leaving a vehicle running UNATTENDED :eek:

Stlheadake
01-10-2008, 07:50
Why didn't I think of that?? I haven't tried locking the door manually, that makes sense. I have a friend with a BMW and you push a sequence of buttons on the remote and that overrides the accidental lock prevention. I wondered if GM was similar.

I just want the truck to run for the 10 minutes max that I'd be in the store. I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for leaving their vehicle running. Not to say it couldn't happen, I just haven't heard of it.

Dakster
01-10-2008, 08:00
I do this all the time. I have a key fob that splits and locks back together. I leave the truck running and lock the doors with the key fob. This way the spare key and key fob are not on me. Losing both keys and remotes would be bad. The truck complains if it is running and I hit the door lock button. IF you hit it twice it will lock - but then I'm locked out. You can control the auto unlock/lock function thru the DIC on at least 2005 thru current models. (at least I could on my 2005 Denali)

Also, should I lock myself out, I do have onstar...

Stlheadake
01-10-2008, 08:12
I figured there had to be a way! I'll play with it tonight. I'm on the bike today. Taking advantage of the 40+MPG!

upsguy
01-10-2008, 19:46
In my '06, if you try to lock the door manually with the engine running it automatically unlocks. I have to lock it with my spare key fob.

Also, here in Texas, it's illegal to leave an unattended vehicle running whether it's locked or not.

SoTxPollock
01-15-2008, 11:31
I just leave the ignition key there and take the remote lock with me, push lock when I get outside and when I'm ready to get back in the truck I just reach in my pocket and push unlock on the remote, its worked every time. When's the last time you saw a Texas Patrolman at the diesel pumps? Their cars and trucks are all gasoline around here.
I'm not leaving it unattended, I am communicating with it by remote, just like you do with your TV judge, surely you can understand that?

Dakster
01-16-2008, 14:34
I'm not trying to get into a legal debate. But if I remote start the truck, isn't it running unattended? This is a manufacturer option and you know how liability and legal conscious those folks are.