PDA

View Full Version : tin shield on right side

catmandoo
08-14-2004, 15:07
changeing inj's and can't get the tin shield off on the right side on top of the ex manifold.is there a trick to this or what?

DickWells
08-14-2004, 16:06
No trick, just seems like it might not be possible at first. I assume you found both 5mm screws on top?
There are two tapered steel tabs down below the injectors that are snapped into mating slots in the double-wall shield. If you use a good light behind the shield, you can look down in there and see them. By pushing a long, flat screwdriver down there behind the bottom edge of the shield, you can pry outward, away from the head, and upward, to snap the shield part way up off the tabs. I believe that the thing comes out best by pushing it backward, toward the firewall, then lifting the front of it to clear the turbo housing, but I can't be 100% on that. I do know that I have had to bend my shield a little bit to get it to clear.
Getting the thing back in isn't easy, either, but once you've done it a couple of times, it seems like one of the least frustrating parts of working in that area. Key is to locate those two tabs, so that you know where they are in relation to the shield, both in and out.
Pay close attention to the front edge of the shield in relation to the number two injecter return hose. Mine was rubbing. I bent the edge to form a radius there, and also put some plastic shielding around the hose to prevent it from chafing through.
Good luck.
Dick Wells

catmandoo
08-14-2004, 18:57
yea i can see both tabs and the front is loose and i can raise it but the back feels like it has a screw or something down there,man are they a pain.well i'll give it the old collage try again tomorrow.

Dvldog 8793
08-14-2004, 20:05
Howdy
Dick is right on the money, you probably are not bleeding enough :D After doing my injectors without removeing the turbo and now seeing how easy it is to take the turbo off, I think that is the way to go. That shield is a real PAIN!!! I think it took me about an hour to get the thing off.
Hope you have better luck!
L8r
Conley

catmandoo
08-15-2004, 07:58
i think you have the first part right i just haven't donated enough blood to the diesel gods.i'm just on my way out to try round 2,and have my first aid kit too(12 pack)we'll see which one gets opened up first me or the 12 pack.

catmandoo
08-15-2004, 14:28
well neither one of us got opened up til i was done putting in the inj's and it wasn't me,man that was the best tasting beer i've had in a long time.took 3 hours on the right side and i still have to put the little bypass hoses on and the tin shield back so the blood letting my still be on tap.otherwise everything went a-ok took intake off and valvecover as it was leaking so hopefully got every thing sealed up

Dvldog 8793
08-15-2004, 14:54
Did you get the push in hoses or are you useing the originals? The little clamps are a real pain!

DickWells
08-15-2004, 16:24
Dvldg: When I changed my injecters a couple of years ago, I got the push-on hoses, but I STILL used the clamps on them, just to make sure. Well, I had the fender liner out that time, so, it was easier. I can be as bull-headed as those GM engineers!
FWIW, Dick,

catmandoo
08-15-2004, 16:34
i got the push on's if i could find the guy that designed those little clamps death would be too good for him.it wouldn't be so bad but your down in a hole to begin with then trying to get the socket on the inj and those just have to be right in the way,i had to have both hoses what was left of em and the clamps off or the socket would not go.anyway not to many choice words used and as i said no blood spilled so i'm pretty content for now,beings i still have to put the hoses on and the top airhorn on the intake i saw awhile back that somebody took a diegrinder and opened up the slots on it how much would this help and how much can safely be removed.

DickWells
08-15-2004, 16:43
Whoops: Forgot to mention another little item that I intended, just in case it helps someone out. If you have AC in your unit, it could be time well spent to look at the AC hose to the condenser, next to the right hand battery. My hose was worn into quite a ways by the corner of the battery, when I discovered it last week. Found it while I was re-routing the possitive cable to get that away from my IC pipe.
Just thought it might be of interest to someone.
Oh. Just thought of another one! I just took out my transmission filler tube for the second time since 98. I re-enforced it (the bracket) this time. Last time, I replaced it. The first time, I used the broken off piece, by flattening the top end, forming it to fit the new pipe, and made a brace out of it, and bolting it to the intake manifold. Thought that was a permanent cure. Wrong. Two weeks ago, I found the pipe loose, again. Cracked 3/4 the way around, right at the base of the bolt tab. This time, I took it out, re-enforced the bolt tab (after I welded up the crack), and re-enforced the old brace that I had made. There, by golly. Lets see how long it holds up this time.
Just something else for some other poor 6.5 owner to look out for.
Yup, it's a bear to get out and in, but has to be delt with. Really bad, after you've built up that tab to about 3/16 thickness.
LOLuck, Dick.

catmandoo
08-15-2004, 17:30
i notice one of my a/c lines was getting rubbed thru below the compressor on i want to think that stupid shield.