PDA

View Full Version : dodge has cummins, ford has powerstroke, us?

allformike
01-08-2008, 08:53
what is the proper name of the 6.2 i have heard some people call them alissons, but i don't know if that's right, and some people said that they have no name, that's why they no longer are made.

DmaxMaverick
01-08-2008, 11:06
Just 6.2L Diesel. There are a few other names, but those come about at specific times, and are usually words of 4 letters. They can help you expand your vocabulary. Diesel engine series names are a recent thing. Cummins is a mfg name, not an engine series name. Ford named their engine series, rather than following Dodge with the engine mfg name. Cummins was more well known than Navistar, so they needed a little bling to market them. 4.3L, 5.7L, 6.2L, and 6.5L Diesel engines were all GM designed and built, so they didn't have a different mfg name to use. It's all trivial now, but during the days of real muscle cars (60's-70's), the engine series were named. It's all about marketing, and appealing to the customer's machismo.

I'm not sure why someone would call them "Allisons". They were designed by Detroit Diesel Division of GM, at the time.

john8662
01-08-2008, 13:26
How About:

6.2 Litre Diesel
Diesel 6.2 Litre
Diesel 6.2 L

DmaxMaverick
01-08-2008, 13:36
Also, when GM started putting Diesel engines in pickups in 1978, it was the only full size truck available with a Diesel engine. Just "Diesel" was enough, as there was no other similar option available from any mfg.

And, when Ford named their Powerstroke, it was replacing a Diesel engine of the same displacement. During that year, they had 3 releases of Diesel engines for their full size pickups. 7.3L, 7.3L-TD, and the 7.3L-PS-TD. Likely it was named to distinguish it from previous models.

More Power
01-08-2008, 14:12
The 6.2L diesel engine was designed by Detroit Diesel, which was a division of GM at the time. :)

Jim

Robyn
01-08-2008, 15:12
Dodge got the Cummins, Ford Got the Powerstroke
And we got the shaft :D:D:D

The 6.2 was originally designed by Detroit Diesel Allison and then later on they were placed under GM powertrain.

To refer to it correctly is "The GM 6.2 or 6.5 Diesel"

Contrary to the belief of some these engines were are are not converted gassers.
The 6.2/6.5 family was purpose designed as a diesel from the ground up.

Later

Robyn