PDA

View Full Version : Wild rides, and then some

gmctd
08-14-2004, 09:22
tbogemirep was in the Big H this week, and being old DP cronies (well - I'm old, he's much younger), we got together for a lttle wrenching and show-and-tell.

Folks, I gotta tell you what he showed me.

But, first -

tbogemirep's post, here on the Page, describes the steps needed to improve 6.5L TurboDiesel power, and the correct order of progression to prevent damage to your expensive investment.
His truck is a K1500, 4L80E. with 255-70R16 road, field and stream tires, 3.73 final drive.

Ronniejoe's post documents on a real dyno the results of those improvements with near identical equipment on a 2500 Suburban.

Rj runs Kennedy's chip in his OBD-I truck, tbo runs BIll Heath's v2.0 reflash in his OBD-II truck

Rj runs Kennedy's spec of -1.94 TDC Offset, tbo runs Bill Heath's spec of -1.50 TDC Offset.

Neither engine has the max improvement 18:1 piston upgrade.

All improvements can be noted in their individual sigs.

Again - tbogemirep documents correct procedure for improvement, Ronniejoe documents defineable, repeatable results.

Both trucks were improved specifically for towing, with added benefit of improved driving experience.

Folks - WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT ! ! ! ! ! ! ! WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Holy Diesel Smoke, Batman! Ya gotta ride in one of their trucks.....

tbo's truck could make those 2.55's howl with exuberance - 0 to 95mph omigod and still pulling hard.(Sorry, folks - the ole ASS-DYNO got no specific numbers for ya, but the output result was HOLY SH*T!!!!!!!)

"Hands off the grab-handle, gmctd - yer bendin' the windshield post!"

My Bro's blown - 6:71 Jimmie - 454 '72 4wd longbed would get a severe run for it's money from this truck, I'm still here (had a few weak-heart moments) to tell ya!

Did I tell you I'm impressed?

My old 8500lb Bud Draft Horse has some of the correct - according to the laws of thermodynamics - upgrades, and it runs well, but it ain't no hot rod, nor will it ever be.

But, the same improvements that go into transforming a stock 6.5LTD into a Diesel Hot Rod also work as improvements for towing and hauling.

And - vise versa (and I do like my vice versa, oh yeah!) ;)

A little tongue-in-cheek humor in my post, as always, folks, but it does not detract from the facts - the documented improvements work, do not break any laws of thermodynamics or common sense, and will improve your driving experience.

The improvements will cost you around 2000 bucks new, but once you drive the improvements, you will never look back.

'Cept, maybe to enjoy the look on the guy's face behind you as you leave him in the dust............with a friggin' Diesel, fer cryin' out loud!

[ 08-14-2004, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

a5150nut
08-14-2004, 19:48
gmctd
Have you ever thought about cutting back on the caffien? :eek:

Loved your post though.......

ToddMeister
08-15-2004, 04:51
gmctd, I always enjoy reading your posts... :D

Turbine Doc
08-15-2004, 20:25
JD,

I made it back safe without further incident of FSD fail/no start spare did the trick; still haven't done any TS on suspect bad one yet, doing put off honey dos that came up while away.

Really had a great time not often that I get to parlay 1 on 1 with another gear head.

I don't normally run her that hard but was having too much fun to hold anything back, I was getting a kick out of the corner of my eye watching you go for the grab ring.

Folks if you get the chance to hook up with ole JD worth the trip, a veritable GM museum at his place, a little of this and little of that gas and Diesel, but alas no breathers in his cubby hole of "stuff", plus his been there done that knowhow is worth the visit.

My truck was set up to tow, but in getting it rigged to tow it picked up a little 0-??? grunt as well 99.6 by GPS is as fast as I've ever had it I ran out of road and courage so I backed her down. This truck WILL deliver the goods, I haven't dynoed since last round of mods and finding a bad MAP sensor, but I have pulled 18K of GN trailer & backhoe 40mph up steep hills est 6 deg or so grade, and 65mph flat road. Limit was not temps but lack of fuel I've got some thoughts on that, 83mm on scanner was request shown but from boost level, rpm, EGT don't feel I was actually getting it.

Running empty is another story as JD has said above.

Other than OBDI & II differences Ronnie Joe & I are nearly same equipment our dyno nos ought to be the same.

Joey D you might want to get with GMCTD his IC install will probably work with your plow set up, his is bumper mount but using a winch capable bumper vs GMs stock bumper.