PDA

View Full Version : Coolant hose sealing RTV or other helper

Hubert
01-06-2008, 21:29
Yeah, I know you should not need it with nice new hose, good hose clamp and strong hose barb but ....

How about marginal hose? I also really dislike cranking down on a hose clamp on plastic tanks and/or older parts w/ thin nipple etc.

I thought I read someone used a little RTV ("The right stuff" might be better) on a water to air intercooler's water lines on install to help retard leaks. They recommended it when using a water wetter as the water wetter will exploit weak or marginal joints that wouldn't ordinarily leak with just coolant.

I need to fix a leak (seep or weep really) at the coolant tank on firewall and would rather not replace the whole line right now. Also, don't want to stress the plastic tank. I am hoping to plier off the junk OE spring squeeze clamp and put on a worm gear clamp.

More Power
01-10-2008, 12:18
What sort of cooling system pressure are you seeing? I suspect your coolant surge tank cap is holding too much pressure......

Jim

Hubert
01-10-2008, 13:22
Maybe. I don't know what the cooling system pressure is getting to. I went and got a quote for all coolant hoses: Expansion tank to lower radiator hose, Lower radiator hose, upper radiator hose, heater hose to heater core, heater hose to radiator tank. And a new quick disconnect at thermostat crossover. Totals about $240 worth of hoses - ouch. Double checking gmpartsdirect for comparison. Probably need to flush coolant its about at the 5 yr mark and consider it regular maintenance and replace all hoses (but they don't look that bad and still feel good pliable but not spongy). I guess a new expansion tank cap is in order too. Uhhhgg, it'll be $300-350 by the time its all over with. At least its cheaper than a truck payment.

Always thought about that post's recommendation from way back and wondered if anyone did it regularly.

More Power
01-10-2008, 15:40
Replace the cap first......

I had a problem very much like yours a few years ago. I began seeing coolant leaks at various hose fittings that are normally never a problem. In my case the cooling system was developing too much pressure due to a defective cap and combustion pressure finding its way into the cooling system....

Jim