PDA

View Full Version : Rattle in Steering - Again

EdHale
01-05-2008, 04:55
My dealer replaced the steering intermediate shaft and lower shaft bearing in April 2007. The truck was new in July 2006. Now in December 2007 the rattle returned and they replaced the same parts again. They said the shaft/bearing used in April were the "new fixed/redesigned parts". Obviously they either weren't the redesigned parts or the redesign isn't working.

Has anyone else had this problem multiple times? I can't help but wonder if the rattle will return in another few thousand miles. I am almost out of warranty, but with the history my dealer said I'm good for another year anyway if this problem returns.

Ed

cduramax
01-05-2008, 11:31
I have had this happen to my 05 LLY 1 time covered under warranty.

I have noticed that it is beginning to do this again as well it lasted about 20,000 miles on my repair. I do alot of off roading in rough country. I don't know if this makes the problem any worse.

I would also like to know if any aftermarket parts are available for this fix as well?

OC_DMAX
01-05-2008, 16:17
The steering rattle has been around since 1999. First, GM replaced the part with the same part. I imagine that got to be an expensive warranty repair item (after they replace several hundred thousand). So, then they changed the procedure and started to lube the existing part. Last I have heard, they have a replacement part. People are noting that even these replacement parts rattle. Looks like they have not really fixed the problem.

My steering column is beginning to rattle again (about 25K after they lubed the part). Since it is out of warranty, I will lube the intermediate shaft myself. Looks easy enough to do. Just don't turn the steering wheel while the intermediate shaft is removed.

EdHale
01-05-2008, 18:41
Mine was replaced in April 2007 with the new design "fixed" shaft. Obviously it didn't last since this is the one that was just replaced again.

The new part doesn't require the lube like they were using before.

I don't off road at all, just highway usage and with all stock tires, etc.

Ed

jsmiracle
01-06-2008, 10:22
I had it fixed (relubed) at a dealer in Dec 06 under warranty. The service manager said I'd be back with the same problem in about 10k miles. He was right except it was about 17k miles and I was out of warranty.

I called GM and they said they set a new, improved TSB fix at another dealer (original one was out of business). I had it fixed under the new TSB, which included I-shaft replacement, a few weeks ago. Now, after reading the above posts, I am none too confident that the problem will not return.

BTW, my brother has the almost identical problem as me, but his truck is a model year older, and GM is dragging their feet in getting it fixed. His mileage is about the same as mine and he's had it "fixed" before, under warranty. They're trying to charge him ~$220 for the fix. I would hate to pay for the fix and still not have it last.

Jim M.

Falk781
01-28-2008, 06:47
See this thread I developed- http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=25286

Believe it or not, I fixed it the first time and it lasted for about 20K miles and it has just started to return.

I did it again last night.

The intermediate shaft is held in by two bolts, one accessible through the left front fenderwell while the other is under the dashboard. The shaft is pulled through the firewall into the driver's compartment and removed that way. It will not go the other way because of the shaft u-joint.