PDA

View Full Version : Have a code 36

Plowboy81
01-05-2008, 01:54
Well tring to fiquire out my 95 K 2500 with the 6.5L turbo diesel.

In the morning when I start it up after it has set over night and gets cold like down in the thirtys the engine starts hard and the engine light comes on. The truck after you start it will idel great and sounds great and all the gauges are reading normal. But the engine light is on and after a min or two it goes off and stays off. So I tried plugging it up but that does not seem to help. So I took it to my friends shop last week and had it put on a computer. It came up with glow plug control relay and a injector pump width to long which is a code 36. We replaced the glow plug relay and did not replace the glow plugs cause I had just put them in last feb. Hoping that was what it was. Now the glow plug code is going but the code 36 is still there. The pump in the truck ant but a year old. So I am at a loose here. Any ideas?

john8662
01-05-2008, 20:41
Could simply be a fuel lubricity issue. Recommend treating your fuel. The responce time too long means the solenoid is opening and closing too slowly, not moving as well as it should.

Be good to renew your fuel filter as well, check for deposits in the bottom of the fuel filter bowl.

J

Plowboy81
01-06-2008, 09:40
Went and got a fuel filter this morning and replacing it today. What do you recommend for a good fuel lube.

john8662
01-06-2008, 14:26
I prefer the All Season Stanadyne Fuel Treatment.

J

Davis
01-06-2008, 18:37
Plowboy81,
I have been plagued by the code 36 for about 8 months and I have been running stanadyne fuel conditioner every fill up for the past 3 years that I have owned the truck. My local stanadyne dealer said to clean the filter bowl as mentioned earlier by sucking out the fuel with a syphon or a syringe or something. Then fill the bowl with the stanadyne fuel conditioner , install new filter and start it up . According to the shop with that much conditioner it will shock the part that is not operating properly in the pump and may help to eliminate the code.The other way to eliminate the code is to have the pump repaired but I am not doing that cause my old 94 runs way to good right now. That tip did help but I do see the light come on occaisionally but not like it used to. My SES light would come on at 50-55 mph with light throttle and if you accelerate or decelerate the light will go off. Hope that helps and did not burst your bubble. Davis

Kick Ass Matt
01-06-2008, 20:18
Plowboy81,
I have been plagued by the code 36 for about 8 months and I have been running stanadyne fuel conditioner every fill up for the past 3 years that I have owned the truck. My local stanadyne dealer said to clean the filter bowl as mentioned earlier by sucking out the fuel with a syphon or a syringe or something. Then fill the bowl with the stanadyne fuel conditioner , install new filter and start it up . According to the shop with that much conditioner it will shock the part that is not operating properly in the pump and may help to eliminate the code.The other way to eliminate the code is to have the pump repaired but I am not doing that cause my old 94 runs way to good right now. That tip did help but I do see the light come on occaisionally but not like it used to. My SES light would come on at 50-55 mph with light throttle and if you accelerate or decelerate the light will go off. Hope that helps and did not burst your bubble. Davis

The conditions you were describing are exactly what my truck is doing now as well. I'll try the filter + bowl + treatment trick. The only difference with my truck is I run TCW3 2 stroke oil in my fuel instead of the Stanadyne fuel conditioner.

Thanks,
Matt

Plowboy81
01-14-2008, 03:23
Thanks for the hint I did that with a shop vac and a piece of hose put in the end of it worked great to get all the stuff out. When you was talking about the light coming on at 50 to 55 sounds like the turbo waste gate controller or a vacum leak going to the waste gate controller. Mine did that and I replaced the waste gate control switch and it stopped. Also found out that and exaust leak between the dounut gaskets well cause that.

Kick Ass Matt
01-16-2008, 22:52
The conditions you were describing are exactly what my truck is doing now as well. I'll try the filter + bowl + treatment trick. The only difference with my truck is I run TCW3 2 stroke oil in my fuel instead of the Stanadyne fuel conditioner.

Thanks,
Matt

Well RAT ****...I replaced my fuel filter, cleaned the bowl, filled it with half Power Diesel Services (White bottle) and half diesel. Shoved the filter back in fired it up. The light went away idling. Set out for a drive from Toronto, Ontario to pick up my winch bumper in St. Louis, MO and I would say for 90% of the trip the light is on.

So I guess a PMD is one of my next to do things...